Mothering Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
For younger children, I liked to keep a brightly coloured vinyl envelope in the backpack for notes, permission slips, lunch orders....anything that needed to be sent to school or from school to home. Fewer papers got forgotten or lost in the bottom of the backpack. The bright colour was a good visual reminder. Paperwork was safer in the vinyl, protected from lunchbox leaks or rain or other potential injury.

This is the sort of envelope I used, but you only need 1 per child, not a pack of 15.

Possibly most of this paperwork is handled on-line these days, but if you anticipate communication flowing back and forth to school, this adds a little organization and security.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
My kids used those (inconsistently). Frankly, I think they're useful for the rest of their school career. But but both of them dropped the cute ones when they got to middles school. Oh, come on guys! This works for you! Don't give it up!
eyesroll.gif

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Good tip, OOF. I'll hold out to see if the kids get a folder given to them to bring back and forth to school (mind did in elementary) but if not I'll get one of those for sure.
My kids had these with their elementary school stuff. However, they'd use paper folders, which hold up for about 15 minutes in my kids' backpacks. 5 minutes if it rains. I replace them with plastic. Each $0.50 plastic folder (Target on sale) lasts 2 years.

My kids walk everyday. They keep a small umbrella tucked in the outside pocket.

We also have a M-F dry erase board by the door with different dry erase colors for each kid, including reminders and after school activities, and who will be giving rides (sitter, parent, carpool).

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymom View Post

Perhaps this was more a problem between dd and me
eyesroll.gif
, but then there were the arguments about whether to get the plain folders that cost $4 for a bunch of them versus the pretty ones with designs that cost, like, $1.50 each.
I usually did a combination. Maybe two of the pretty/expensive ones, and the rest the plain/cheap ones. Best of both worlds. IMO.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonjunio View Post

A supreme website for all things reusable and toxin-conscious, check out http://mightynest.com/

Looks like you can even donate %15 of your purchase to your school!
Enthusiastic thumbs up for this company. They are local and the family that owns it is lovely. Great stuff, great service. We use several of their lunch items, like the fabric snack bags and stainless steel containers.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.