Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that we have a chicken group here... so what about us duck people...?
So here it goes...

We have two muskovy ducks right now sitting on about 15 eggs!! I can't wait for them to come out!! We keep the in a fenced in area since we live near the ocean and there are eagles... One of them ran away once and we had to save her since she was at the beach with the eagles coming down on her
!!! So as much as I liked having them running around and eating my slugs... now they lost tha priviledge..

So lets hear your stories!!! I have some pictures wich I will add later.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi! Another muscovy duck owner here. Our two girls just had 20 ducklings. It is really neat to see how they both care for all of them. My kids love the ducklings but ds needs to work on being gentle with them. I think as he gets older it will be easier for him to handle them. We have already homes lined up for the ducklings as they get bigger.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have one duck, a rescued Pekin we call Jemima
She's pretty shy - we rarely see her, though at least two to three times a week she comes up to the barn, quacking her head off till someone goes out and fills her water dish and gives her duck food. We're hoping to get another female to keep her company - she wants NOTHING to do with the chickens!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I love muscovy ducks!! I guess I kinda own about 7 of them. My mom got me to take them from her pond when we bought our new house. There is a lake across the street, and they live over there. They used to come up to the house everyday for some corn an bread, but they quit doing that a year or so ago. They are happy, and they have paired up with some of the hens that were already living on the lake. (all seven of mine were drakes) They do a great job at eating up the mosquitos around here.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My muscovies just love eating up those damn slugs... I usually go around in the evening with a bucket and pick them out of my yard and garden
: .... I wish I could let them loose, but I'm afraid they will run right to the ocean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts