Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up with cows milk? Do you drink it? Why is raw milk better?

Then I heard cows milk, raw or not, is not good for you. How about goat milk?

What's better raw cow milk or raw goat milk? Is there a difference besides the obvious?

I'm new to this whole thing. I currently drink organic milk from the grocery store. I live in NY and found someone who will supply raw cow milk. I'm sure this is better then what I'm drinking, but should we maybe cut out cow milk all together?

Eta : what about kefir?
Also, do you eat raw cheese and all other dairy products? Where do you get it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
We drink raw cows milk. http://www.realmilk.com/ Here's a good place to start.
Pasteurization kills a lot of vitamins, nutrients, and bacteria naturally found in cows milk. Raw milk is safe as long as the farmer is clean and has healthy cows.
I have heard people say that we are only designed to drink mothers milk as infants and toddlers and water as adults. Makes sense, really. The milk coming from the cows is for their babies, like our milk is for ours. That being said, we love dairy, so we choose to eat it. It's healthy, though it can cause a mucus build up that leads to ear infections and sinus problems. This is more true for my 5yo than anyone else in our family, so she has dairy in limitations. I think it's a matter of personal choice whether you drink cows milk or not.
I've read that organic milk is heated to really high levels, even higher than "normal" milk, and therefore it has less nutrition in it.
We don't eat other raw dairy because of the price. It is available through our co-op, but it's twice the price. Luckily the farmer we buy milk from is very generous and doesn't charge us an arm and a leg for it.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Goat milk is sometimes more digestable because the proteins are smaller. The composition is closer to breast milk, though bm is much higher in lactose while goat milk is higher in protein. Baby goats need to grow big quickly; baby humans need lactose to grow their brains. Goat milk is the preferred milk in much of the world. It is less common here, because everything is mass produced, and the USDA rules make it nearly impossible for a small goat dairy to make money selling milk. We have our own milk goats and very fressh milk, but it is a lifestyle choice for sure. A goat in milk has to be milked - we can't take off on a trip without someone reliable willing to milk for us. Taken in moderation I think dairy products are very wholesome. Raw is preferable as pasturization and homogenization affects the composition. Cheese has decay fighting properties. Keifer is a good probiotic (though my tastebuds won't tolerate it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.