Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my husband and i are considering moving to asheville. we've done some online research and are planning to visit in the next couple of weeks.

my question is this -- how bad are the crime and drugs in asheville? we've seen comments about the crime being bad, but is this really the case? if i am to believe some of the things i'm reading, it is a city riddled with crime and drugs. is this localized or widespread? possible to avoid? does it take away from the experience of living there? are there other areas like asheville (open-minded, progressive, etc.) that don't have these problems?

what do you think?

also, we'd like to look at homes to rent online for the long-term, not just for our upcoing trip. do you have any good websites for this?

thanks!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well, there's crime everywhere, and I think it's pretty unescapable in general. I grew up in the Bay Area (California), then lived in southern Oregon. I've traveled quite a bit on top of that, and must say that I personally feel pretty safe living here, and raising our children in WNC. If I felt differently in the slightest way -- I would'nt be here.

We're in the midst of heading out to the pool for the day, but I will come back and elaborate/help you with your questions as much as possible. I will say that we leave stuff outside on our deck (skateboards, soccer balls, etc...), and nothing has ever been stolen from us. We live in east AVL.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I lived in Asheville while in high school (graduated from A'ville High). I would not say that it has a high crime rate (perhaps but it would totally shock me). My parents still live there ~ actually they live outside of A'ville now but still work there and have lots of friends in town. It is a neat city. I have a fondness for north Asheville...the older part of town. I think it has more of a small town feel and is more settled.

West Asheville is a neat part as well. There are lots of great people in A'ville! Lots of neat things to do...and great places to go. I am like the PP ~ growing up I never owned a house key. We never locked the doors.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I really don't know what to say/add in regard to crime since I personally haven't witnessed it, or have been a victim of crime in any way shape or form since moving here in late 2004. I will venture to say that one who lives here possibly notices more crime... say... around the holidays? Just my personal experience when it comes to "hearing" about crime and crimes committed.

Although I must add that I did wake-up to an email from a local Mama friend stating they went out to dinner Thursday night, to come home and find that they were robbed. They live in an area not far from downtown off of Merrimon though. And don't get me wrong, I'm all for "city living," but if one is looking for some sort of Bohemian lifestyle where you can pretty much walk any/everywhere you want to go, and don't mind lots and lots of "foot traffic" happening right in front of your home, I kind of look at it as it comes with the territory. You see, having three kids who love to ride bikes, do chalk art in the street (we live on a dead end circle), I could never live where some of my friends do. For me personally, it's a huge trade-off I'm willing to make to actually get in my car and drive the 5 minute drive (via 240) to downtown and live in a quiet 'burb neighborhood vs. being right there in the middle of it all.

I'd recommend asking more specific questions in regard to crime here. Reading our local newspaper might also offer some more insight too.

It really is a neat place to live - Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.