Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies, I was hoping everyone could help each other out. = One night I was randomly researching carseats ect only to find out my DS's carseat is just enough to keep him restrained. IT offers little in the way of safety features. IT was given to me new, from my mom. She was able to get a $100 carseat for like $30. I Really cannot complain since it was free but my random research has me worried. Since my DS is old enough to move to a booster seat with a 5 point harness, I was wondering what other people had planned to use, prices.

Here are some of the things I want in a booster.
5-point harness
Seat belt adjusters attached to carseat, but not just to the cover (graco does this)
Front harness adjuster (again there is a graco carseat that lacks this feature)
Easy to Install
High Safety rating
Large weight and height specs. for shoulder harness. ( I need it to last until he's atleast 4 or 5)
Durability. He'll be almost 27 months old by the time we actually buy the carseat, I need it to last years instead of months. My current carseat still looks new, and I have been using it for almost 2 years. I need the seat to be functional until he's atleast 8.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
If you have headrests or a van w/ captains chairs, the Cosco Apex would work out well. It harnesses till 65# so has higher slots and turns into a good booster unlike most combo seats out there. Another option is the Britax Regent which harnesses till 80# and lasts a lot of children till 8-10 yrs old, but for you it would only last till 8 since it has a 6yr expiration and then you'd have to evaluate if he still needs a booster then (a lot of children do).

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have the Graco Ultra Cargo that I use as a spare for transporting the little boy (2) that I babysit. I really like it with the 5 point harness, which can be used from 20-40 lb, and has very high shoulder slots so can be used with tall kids. It also has the easy to adjust button on the front to loosen and tighten the straps. It is lightweight, and installs easily in the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I also have a Britax Marathon for DS who is 3.5 and sits FF, and a Evenflo "bucket" carseat for DD (11 months and only 16 lb). All 3 fit in the back seat, which is partly due to the Graco being narrow enough. I don't like it as well when I tried using it as a booster for DS's friend who was 43 lb, 41 inches as the seatbelt guides are part of the fabric cover and are kind of hard to guide the shoulder belt through. I am not sure if this is the Graco one you refer to in your post, but thought I would throw this out there so you can make an informed choice. Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepeach80
If you have headrests or a van w/ captains chairs, the Cosco Apex would work out well. It harnesses till 65# so has higher slots and turns into a good booster unlike most combo seats out there. Another option is the Britax Regent which harnesses till 80# and lasts a lot of children till 8-10 yrs old, but for you it would only last till 8 since it has a 6yr expiration and then you'd have to evaluate if he still needs a booster then (a lot of children do).
i don't know where the original poster lives, but in my state it's law that a kid has to be in a booster till they are either 8 years old or 80#. whichever comes first.

i say if you've got the money or have time to save up for to go with the Regent....actually i think they are discontinuing those and now it's the Boulevard? i could be mistaken though.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
How much does he weigh now? If he's on the heavier side, I'd look into a seat with a higher weight limit to the harnesses. If he is on the bigger side, he will likely reach 40lbs before he is mature enough to sit still in a belt positioning booster seat.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I thought the Regent was a replacement for the Husky and the Boulevard was a replacement for either the Marathon or the Wizard. I could very well be wrong though...

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Regent is a replacement for Husky and harnesses forward facing only to 80 lbs.

Boulevard is a replacement for Wizard and harnesses rear facing to 33 lbs and forward facing to 65.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by churchofdisco
i don't know where the original poster lives, but in my state it's law that a kid has to be in a booster till they are either 8 years old or 80#. whichever comes first.
That doesn't mean a child doesn't need a booster, it just means it's not illegal.Once a child is 6 here, at any weight, they can ride w/out a booster. I've never met a 6yo who didn't need a booster. http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks ladies for the info so far. My DS is 30lbs. He will more than likely out grow his current carseat in the next year. I am more than willing to shell out the money for a good seat for my DS.

I live in North Carolina, and the limits are based on weight, age, and hieght. Which ever comes first, is my understanding. I think there is an emphasis on the height limitations.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
NC is 8 OR 80#, but again, age and weight mean nothing when deciding if a child is safe in just a seatbelt.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepeach80
NC is 8 OR 80#, but again, age and weight mean nothing when deciding if a child is safe in just a seatbelt.

So, what does then?

I have an 80 lb. 9 yo., and I'm trying to decide if she still needs to be in her booster.

I also have a 40 lb. 4 yo.......is he safe to go to the booster, or should I get him another 5 pt. with a greater weight range?

PS. The Utah law is only up to 4 yo. that they need to be in a carseat.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rozzie'sma
Ohio and Tennessee are now boosters til 10 or 100 pounds. If that helps.
Do you have any reference for that? From what I can find, Ohio is 4 years and 40lbs, and Tennessee seems to be 8 or 4'9".

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I have a Graco Comfort Sport Convertible car seat for Abigail. She's been using it since she was 6 months, when she reached 20 pounds and no longer could use the carrier carseat.

This car seat has the LATCH system
It can be used rear-facing for 5-30 pound babies, and forward-facing for 20-40 pound babies (1 year or older)
It has a five point harness with 3 height adjustment slotes in the back of the seat. The harness is looped through the back of the seat.

It has a strap in the front, comes up from underneath, that makes adjusting the tightness of the straps really easy.

This seat is nicely padded all around for extra comfort.

The only negatives are that my husband removed the straps to clean them, and when he put them back, he did it wrong. I'm contacting Graco to get help getting those straps back in right.

Also, Abigail lifted the cover and snapped off the styrofoam padding on the upper right side of it. I have no idea how she managed that or why.

I'm not sure, but I think I may now need a new carseat because of what Abigail did to it. So I'll be checking this thread for any suggestions.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
A couple of notes/thoughts

- carseats are only good for 6 years.

- in a britax (marathon/decathalon/boulevard) he could still be rear facing

-Angela

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
I forgot to add that we bought the carseat from Burlington Baby Depot it was regularly priced at $79.99, but there was a 12.5% off sale that day, so we only paid $69.99 for it.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
So, what does then?
how the seatbelt fits them. if it is *off* then they will not be protected and will need the booster to make them the correct height to make it fit.

If this is incorrect or incomplete please someone correct me

I am looking to buy ds#1 a booster but again would like the harness one. he will be in it until he outgrows it or its no longer safe so I am willing to spend more money then i did on his convertible (which his little brother will be going into when he outgrows the infant seat...provided its not in an accident)

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by A&A
So, what does then?

I have an 80 lb. 9 yo., and I'm trying to decide if she still needs to be in her booster.

I also have a 40 lb. 4 yo.......is he safe to go to the booster, or should I get him another 5 pt. with a greater weight range?

PS. The Utah law is only up to 4 yo. that they need to be in a carseat.
Here's the link I posted earlier to see if your child needs a booster still. http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm The longer a child is harnessed, the safer they are. Whether you move your 4yo into a booster is up to you and up to how he sits in the seat, if he can sit well for the whole time he's in the car, doens't unbuckle himself, etc.

I haven't looked hard, but I couldn't find anything that said 10 or 10# either. I found TN was 8 or 5' though.

Abi's mama, the Comfortsport is outgrown pretty fast by most kids, especially rfing. It has the lowest strap slots on the market and for a child to be in the seat forward facing correctly, the strap slots need to be at or above their shoulders. AJ is 37" and at least 3" too tall to use a Comfortsport, despite only being 34#. I would call Graco about the foam and see what they say. A lot of companies can jsut send new foam for you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts