Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What car do you drive when you want to the whole family somewhere? What car fits all the carseats and boosters, and the big kids, and is still easy to get people in and out of, especially that third row?

Tell us what you like, what you don't like, what works for your friends' families.

Let share knowledge for growing large families. Car shopping sucks, and if we can crowd source it, maybe we'll make it a little less hard on all of us.

I talked to one car salesman yesterday who advised me to watch the local county auctions for short school buses that the county didn't want anymore. I laughed, but then I wondered if that's actually what people with large families do? Do I buy one and trick it out with a better paint job and radio? It's becoming a viable option, and I really hope that's the pregnancy hormones talking!

·
Registered
586 Posts
if i had more than 5 kids and the money i would get a nissan NV, they are really nice.

Our minivan is a kia sedona 2009, it seats 7, some 2015's seat 8 and they are beautiful. My cousin has a GMC acadia (suv) it has the middle row to get from second to third row, it looks really nice. My fiancee works at a kia dealership, he prefer kias since that is what he knows about in the shop. If we have to get an 8 passenger we would like go with an older year toyota sienna, we cannot afford a brand new nv or sedona =/. Acura mdx is nice as well. Alot depends on how much you can spend!

http://www.edmunds.com/nissan/nv-passenger/2015/

http://www.kia.com/us/en/vehicle/sedona/2015

http://www.gmc.com/2015-acadia-crossover-vehicle/interior-photos.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have an Acadia, too. Once I put a second rear facing car seat in the middle row, there's no way to access the third row without climbing under the carseats. So, Acadia is out for us. For this reason, so are most minivans and suv's, especially if they have bucket seats in the second row. Might work if we could find something with a 60/40 bench in the second row.

·
Registered
586 Posts
We have an Acadia, too. Once I put a second rear facing car seat in the middle row, there's no way to access the third row without climbing under the carseats. So, Acadia is out for us. For this reason, so are most minivans and suv's, especially if they have bucket seats in the second row. Might work if we could find something with a 60/40 bench in the second row.
I know what you mean, we first had the seats where we had both the forward facing seats in the second row. The two older kids had to climb over one of the kids to get out for school everyday, it was quite the headache. We switched and have one harnessed seat in the third row and one in the second row so one big kid and one little kid per row. Could you put your older rf'ing child in the third row? I either climb in and buckle the harnessed 3rd rower or just reach in (i have long arms lol). DP will climb in and buckle from the trunk, that may be easier if the toddler is rf'ing

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know what you mean, we first had the seats where we had both the forward facing seats in the second row. The two older kids had to climb over one of the kids to get out for school everyday, it was quite the headache. We switched and have one harnessed seat in the third row and one in the second row so one big kid and one little kid per row. Could you put your older rf'ing child in the third row? I either climb in and buckle the harnessed 3rd rower or just reach in (i have long arms lol). DP will climb in and buckle from the trunk, that may be easier if the toddler is rf'ing
I would put one r'facing seat in the third row, except the car's owners manual specifically says not to do that. Only f'facing in 3rd row.

This stuff is so complicated!

·
Registered
137 Posts
We have a 2013 Toyota Sienna, with which we are very happy. We bought it after it was used for a year as a rental car, and saved about $10,000 off the regular price. Buying a newer rental is a good option for those tight on money (like us).

Unless you had twins in the middle row, both rear facing i think this car is great. You can put the older ones in the back, and take out one middle row seat for greater access.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Anyone have luck with three in a normal sedan? I'll have a booster, and FFing and infant.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We put our 3 in an Altima when we went to Disney...I HATED it.
We drive a Tahoe and I am happy to have the extra room to stretch and let the kids get in and out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Our commuter car is a Mazda 6. We don't like putting three in the back seat, and two of them are big enough that they don't need car seats at all. So, it's the two big kids, plus the rear facing seat. Anything farther than the local restaurant is too far. I know people do it, because they have to, but three car seats is not for us.

The Diono Radian is supposed to be the narrowest car seat out there, so best for those that have to do three across, but I don't think it's a rf'ing seat. Only ff'ing.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have diono radian car seats. They work both ways, rear and forward facing. They truly are sturdy, and narrow. Good safety reviews from Consumer Reports. My biggest gripe with them, though, is that it is almost impossible to remove the fabric cover without ruining the delicate foam padding underneath. Not convenient when your child vomits in the car seat and you have to clean everything.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
we have a 2012 Dodge grand Caravan there will be 6 of us unless its twins

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
We have the biggest of the big 'normal' cars (at least I think ours is the biggest, LOL) We have a GMC Yukon XL. We've had it since we had 4+ kids. I loved the Honda Odyssey we had before that, but there just wasn't enough storage space in the back when we regularly used all 3 rows. So we traded it in and got the biggest SUV we knew of. Its an 8 seater, but still has a good enough amount of storage space in the back. We are used to having to slide that 2nd row seat back and forth everytime we go somewhere. Aftter this baby, we will have all the seats taken up and anything bigger would be getting a Suburban with a bench seat in the front row so we have 9 total seats or getting one of those Dodge vans that can to 12 or 15. Thats what I meant by 'normal' by the way. Not many family's ever need to get a passenger van as their everyday vehicle. The car we have now is paid for, so I really would not want to get anything else unless absolutely necessary. :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts