Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We aren't taking any formal classes with this pregnancy. We did the Birthing from Within with our first. My DH doesn't feel it is necessary to spend all that money when we know what we are doing this time around. I am a birth doula & he hears all the stuff I do.

What are y'all doing for preparations?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
I'm taking a class by a friend who is a doula. Its more for my DH than me he wasn't much help last time
. I'm also just trying get him involved more. My mother was a great labor couch and will help me again this time. I really want dh is help more with the delivery
:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
We are taking Bradley classes, and so far, we're enjoying them. We are not doulas, so I am hoping this class will give us more alternatives for helping me through labor! We took the hospital class the last time, which did incorporate a few techniques (and she actually did stress that one intervention can often lead to another) but it was not really that helpful in my case.

I am trying to follow the Brewer's diet (we are supposed to count protein grams daily and hand them in to our instructor once per week!) and although I could be doing better with the exercises, I think it is really going to be a lot more helpful than the hospital class was.

DH was a great coach for DS's birth - I'd just like him to have a few more things he could try!

·
Registered
347 Posts
We started one, and dropped out when, at the first class, the instructor told us that she had never taught before and then told the long story of her failed homebirth.After that, she talked for almost 2 hours straight and reviewed all this stuff we really already knew about diet and nutrition. I ddnt want to waste any more time so I got a refund and got out of it.
But even though he hated that, DH still *really* wanted to go to something to help him prepare, and our midwives told us about www.babybodybirth.com so I called and talked to the founder and was so impressed with their approach to learning and natural childbirth that I got us right into a "birth" course. They break the learning into three sections 1) body 2) birth 3) baby -- each can be taken on their own, and each is short and meant to address exactly what you need. We start tomorrow night, and its only four weeks long, all specifically about preparing for the birth. We're skipping the body course which is more focused on nutirition, tests, etc...all stuff we've kind of aready covered with our midwives.
We'll also take the "baby course" which is 1 or 2 weeks and meant to help you think and prepare for any postpartum issues/needs and new baby stuff before the baby arrives.

I cant wait to start!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We are taking a class called Holisitc Birth Preparation through a local birth center. We love it! Tonight we are practicing birth positions. I can't wait!

·
Registered
227 Posts
we've been taking a series through my yoga center, taught by my instructor who is also a doula. Thinking about taking Birthing From Within and/or a short series at our hospital (mainly just to get acquainted with the place).

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by libragirl View Post
we've been taking a series through my yoga center, taught by my instructor who is also a doula. Thinking about taking Birthing From Within and/or a short series at our hospital (mainly just to get acquainted with the place).

If you are birthing in the hospital, the short series is a very smart idea. That way you will be a little more comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts