Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I had way WAY too much fun making my fitted that now I want to make more. I think that this time Im going to make it a pocket fitted instead for quicker drying. So my questions is, what are some of your favorite fabric combinations. Inner/outer fabrics. Inner being against babys skin and outer being the outside you see. So far these are the fabrics I have:

Microfleece, suedecloth, velour, knit, flannel and woven cotton.

The diaper I made was suedecloth inner with woven outer and I found it performed well (its was an actual fitted not a pocket. Im gonna try a pocket next). Im just looking for more ideas on what might work and what wont. I know I wouldnt use woven as an inner. Any suggestions? What are your favorites?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought some small yardage of hemp fabrics to make an all-hemp fitted. I keep hearing how great hemp is, so I thought I'd try it. I got hemp fleece to be soft against baby's skin, hemp french terry for the soaker because it's trim, and hemp jersey for the outer because it's supposed to have a bit more stretch. I haven't gotten it cut and sewn yet, but I'm eager to see how it works.

As for a fitted pocket, I like that idea. I've made some of those also. Basically I like something really soft against baby's skin, or something that wicks. However, I'm getting where I'm not a big fan of microfleece for diapers. I am starting to use mine more to make soft little blankies, especially the microchamois that I have. Now that I've found suedecloth, it's just so much more trim and easy to sew with than the fleece, IMO. And it looks better longer, also, from what I've seen so far. I am a big fan of trim! LOL

Tasha <-- who still likes the cuteness of her flannel-outer fitteds. There are just so many cute flannel prints, even for boys!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Personally I prefer microfleece or suede as an inner because Z's eating "solid" food now and his poo comes in funny colors that stains natural materials.
Also, I made some doublers and an AIO with hemp fleece fuzzy side out. I'll NEVER do that again! The hemp fleece got all pilly after the first wash, and seems to make the pilling on everything else worse.
From now on all my hemp goes smooth side out!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
i like suede cloth. for inners it just seems to look nicer that micro over time and doesnt pill. At JoAnns they sometimes have it on sale or clearance for like 2.00 a yd and it works great!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amysuen
Also, I made some doublers and an AIO with hemp fleece fuzzy side out. I'll NEVER do that again! The hemp fleece got all pilly after the first wash, and seems to make the pilling on everything else worse.
From now on all my hemp goes smooth side out!
yeah, hemp fleece starts out so soft, but after all that lint comes off on everything and it gets really absorbent, it is not very soft anymore.

I use the same combinations of fabric for my pocket fitteds as I do for regular fitteds. One of my all time favorites fabrics for inside diapers is cotton fleece (aka sweatshirt fleece). The nice dense ones don't pill and stay super soft. I make all my night diapers pocket style, because there is no way I could fit all the soaker layers I need inside a fitted diaper. I add an extra body layer of hemp inside too.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
For outers, pretty much anything goes (wovens, knits, organics, hemp, etc.). For inners, I really love organic fabrics, especially OV and OC (fleece or interlock), with a MM topped soaker. But for pocket diapers I like an all-MM inner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.