Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD will be 26 months old when baby comes and I want to get a good double stroller. Money is a bit tight as I am a SAH mom. My SIL is willing to sell her not so gently used phil and ted to me and I know of a mom that is getting rid of a bob double. I run with DD a few times a week, although I don't know if that will be happening with 2. I would like some kind of sporty stroller, but also functioning. I will keep my singles and most likely wear #2 for a while (months).

What do all of you moms of 2 plus think?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't have a double stroller...but two of the women in my workout group use Bob's and they absolutely love them and recommend them to everyone. I've been thinking about getting one myself

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Not from your DDC but my toddler was 21 months when #2 came along, and we bought the Phil and Ted's double (not the vibe, just the normal one). I LOVE it.
It's been so awesome, as much as I did wear my newborn it was nice to have the option of not wearing him for long days for a break (he can lay flat with the jump seat over the sleeping newborn). Now, I have a 18 month old and a 3.25 year old and they still LOVE to ride in it. It's big enough for older toddlers (3, 4+) and sam still fits fine in the back jump seat. I'm pregnant again and we'll use it of course. I love the fact that the double seat comes off and you can use it as a single which elimates the need for a single stroller and it's great for walking on trails and stuff, which we do. If you can get one used, even better. If the tired are beat or it's dirty I bet you can give it a good wash and even buy replacement tires... or check craigslist?

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
my DD was 26 months when DS was born, i bought a double stroller but NEVER used it.. maybe 5 times ever.. mostly i either used 2 strollers and had someone with me, or i wore DS and DD rode, or DD walked and DS rode, the double was just a pain - this was our system until i got pregnant (so i was wearing DS on my back often until he was 18 months and DD was over 3.5) DS was REALLY good at getting out of a stroller from the time he was about 9 mnths old (i still don't understand how he did it) and DD would pick on him if they were in the double together pretty much from the beginning..so i have had to keep them separated .. now most of the time DD walks and holds the stroller and DS rides. with this next baby i'm planning to use a similar system.. i plan to wear the baby and let DS ride and have DD hold the stroller.. either that, or i plan to go shopping while DD is in preschool
=

anyway, it was super easy for me to get by without a double.. if i wanted to run i would buy a double jogging stroller .. my friend has a babytrend one and it is super easy to push even with 50lbs of kid in it.. its not totally practical for every day use but i raelly don't think any double stroller is..

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
We have three, and we use them like crazy. Part of that is because our oldest son (8) has special needs and prefers riding in strollers, and part of that is because ds (4) and dd (2) are only 18 months apart...if ONE wants to ride in the stroller, g*d help us if the other one can't.

My favorite is the Baby Jogger side-by-side. It's incredibly tough and sturdy, works great in stores, on the sidewalks, and even out on trails when we go hiking. The seats can recline, there is a sun shade that really works, and it has a basket underneath that has been awesome for grocery runs. On the minus side, it's a true jogging stroller, so the front wheel does not pivot. That means you have to tip the stroller back to steer. Not so bad with little, little ones, but when you're carrying 100+ pounds of kids, it's not something you can do with one hand. We've had ours and used it hard for almost 5 years, and it's still as good as new.

My second favorite is the cheapo Graco Duo-glide. These are EVERYWHERE, and you can get them for almost nothing second hand. I like this one the best for going shopping, because you can fit through narrow areas and doors without any issues. We also like it for the zoo and stuff like that, because the kids can see out of both sides easily. And yes, I liked it for when our babies were really little, and the carriers were too hot in the summer, so that our baby could recline in the shaded back seat. Our Graco has been a real workhorse...we've had it for 8 years. The basket below is ripped, but that thing regularly holds way above its weight limit and it holds together wonderfully.

My third favorite is our double Burley...the one you can hook up to your bike. It has really nice high bar for walking, lots of storage room in back, and the front wheel pivots so walking with it/changing directions is a dream. One thing I really liked about it is how you can cover it up entirely or leave it very much open. That's great when the winters get cold, but you still want to walk somewhere in the neighborhood. It's strictly a bike/neighborhood walk stroller, though...it stinks on the trails, and I'd never want to tote it somewhere for use.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
My favorite is the Baby Jogger side-by-side. It's incredibly tough and sturdy, works great in stores, on the sidewalks, and even out on trails when we go hiking. The seats can recline, there is a sun shade that really works, and it has a basket underneath that has been awesome for grocery runs. On the minus side, it's a true jogging stroller, so the front wheel does not pivot. That means you have to tip the stroller back to steer. Not so bad with little, little ones, but when you're carrying 100+ pounds of kids, it's not something you can do with one hand. We've had ours and used it hard for almost 5 years, and it's still as good as new.
The good news is that Baby Jogger makes the City Series (I think they're still called that) which still has jogger-like suspension and real tires. The tires are smaller, and it's not quite as running friendly (if you are a serious runner) as a true jogger. It's more of an all-terrain stroller. The front wheel can pivot or it can be locked.

I got one used (gently) for about $425 when I was pg with DD2. It pushes like a dream, and the recline is incredible. I second the sunshade recs, but the basket is hard to access and smallish. Other than the basket and the fact that it takes up a good portion of my trunk, I really have no complaints.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Definitely try out Phil and Ted first. My son is small for his age and, at 2, I felt like he didn't fit in that stroller very well. We have a BOB Revolution Duallie and I LOVE it. It is not great for using indoors, (but I still do), but it is a great outdoor stroller. Very easy to push, which is something I found to be rare in doubles. My kids LOVE it, and when they're happy, so am I. The one negative thing I could say is that it is really heavy and big.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
DS1 and DS2 are 23 months apart.... and DS2 and DD1 were 20 months apart... I used doubles for both of them. My favorite was a Combi one... it was a side-by-side, but I had no trouble maneuvering it in the narrow aisles of Brooklyn stores. I also loved that it stood up when folded... great as it was outside of our apartment. It was about $199...new. Both seats reclined fully for an infant, which was nice.

We also had a Sit-n-Stand as well as a Graco Duoglider. The SIt-n-Stand was fine... but it took up a lot of space in my trunk. The DuoGlider was a boat.... and honestly, I thought the Combi maneuvered better.

Does your little one still like to ride in a stroller? I know with DD1, the second she could walk she went on a stroller strike. Didn't want to be a "baby".

Definitely check out places that sell used Baby goods... like Once Upon A Child and CraigsList. Also, where I live, the community holds a giant yard sale of baby stuff...good condition... good prices.

·
Registered
59 Posts
we bought a Phil and Ted's off of Craigslist last month, and are loving it.
my 2 year old loves it and it's great for city walking with the bigger air-filled tires and it's easy steering. it's super easy to open/close and assemble its different components. we wanted something that was compact enough to take on public transit too (the EL train).
it's light-weight too.
we didn't try anything else, but we're happy with what we found.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.