Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when did your toddler's teeth come in? When did the molars start coming? When was the full set of chompers complete?

I ask because my DD did not get a single tooth until 11.5 months of age...now, at almost 15 months, she has FOUR teeth and no signs of impending toothiness elsewhere in her mouth. I'm not exactly concerned, just curious if anyone else has a slow teether!

(The good thing is, she loooooves to brush those four little teeth! Every time we go in the bathroom she points at her toothbrush, makes the brushing motion and says "cheesh". This version of 'teeth' is actually one of her first consistent words!
The kid could brush her cheesh all day.)

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
My 20 mo dd is currently cutting her two year molars. She started at 4 months, and has pretty consistently gotten 4 new teeth every four months.
She usually gets two at a time, a few days apart.

4 center top and bottom between 4-8 mos
4 next to those by 1 year
4 molars by 15 months

She just finished cutting her 4 cuspids and is now working on the molars... I think 1 has popped through, which means I should see another one in a day or so.

I think average is the full set of "primary teeth" by 3 years old.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if my DD follows her current pattern she should have her full set of primary teeth by age...12?

I wish she would get her molars so she could chew her food better, now that she likes solid food.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
DD got her first 2 teeth at 10 or 11 months and the next 2 were quick to follow. Then we had a break for a bit and got the next 2 (top. Beside the front 2) at about 13 months I think and then it all went merrily to he__! In the past month our DD has pushed through her top 2 molars and a bottom tooth (beside the front 2) and she is currently pushing through the bottom 2 molars and her top eye teeth. She's been a wee tad grumpy. GO FIGURE! At least we've been getting it all over with at once though!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jes'sBeth, I bet that happens with Nora, too.

I read somewhere that late teething is good because the surfaces of the teeth are not exposed as soon (obviously), so late teethers get fewer cavities. I wonder if that's true.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My DS sounds just like your DD! He got his first 2 bottom teeth at 10mos, the top 2 at 11.5mos and now the two eye teeth (the same day) at 14mos, and now no more.
I took him to a paediatric dentist and she told me that the later thier teeth come in the more likely that they will last longer because the enamel will have time to grow stronger before the tooth erupts from the gum.
Also, if the teeth come in early they are more prone to decay because they are subject to bacteria earlier.
She did say however that early or late as long as you brush regularly (up near the gum line) your chances of making it to thier adult teeth without any dental work is high.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cmd, did she have trouble chewing? I wonder if Nora will get too used to chewing with her front teeth. She really likes to try chewing food these days, even things like sirloin which are very hard to manage with only 4 teeth!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABMama
My DS sounds just like your DD! He got his first 2 bottom teeth at 10mos, the top 2 at 11.5mos and now the two eye teeth (the same day) at 14mos, and now no more.
I took him to a paediatric dentist and she told me that the later thier teeth come in the more likely that they will last longer because the enamel will have time to grow stronger before the tooth erupts from the gum.
Also, if the teeth come in early they are more prone to decay because they are subject to bacteria earlier.
She did say however that early or late as long as you brush regularly (up near the gum line) your chances of making it to thier adult teeth without any dental work is high.
That's awesome. Nora loves to brush her "cheesh" so I don't think we will have any problems there. She will carry her toothbrush around and brush all day if I let her!

·
Registered
762 Posts
My dd got her first teeth at 5 months and now at 14 1/2 months she has 16!!
Lets just say that I hope this means she is done teething until her second set of molars come in.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
My DD got her first 2 teeth at 9.5 months. It was at least 3-4 months before the next 2 came in, if I remember right. Now she is 2 months shy of 3 years old and has her bottom two 2-year molars, but no signs of the top two coming in. Her teeth have always come in pairs, the teeth breaking just a day or few apart.

DS is 9 days away from his 1st birthday, and he hasn't broken any teeth yet. One is getting close, now, I can see a white ridge. It happens to be on the top, NOT the bottom like I was expecting!! hehe. What's even funnier is that I could have sworn he was teething when he was 5 months old. But I tell ya, late teething is good for bf'ing!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
DD got her first two teeth and 5 months, then had 14 teeth by 14 months and 16 teeth by 16 months and all 20 by 20 months.
She HATES having her teeth brushed and we've just noticed one front tooth is looking a bit decayed but I'm doing everything I can (except stopping breastfeeding on demand) so I've decided there is no point beating myself up about it. She's just 2 and I am a little worried though about how this tooth is possible going to last another 4 years.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have got a slow teether here too - my girl got her first two teeth (bottom front) at 7.5 and 8 months - then nothing for 5 months - now at 12.5 months she finally got her 3rd tooth - which happens to be her top left molar!!! She is still working on her top front teeth - gums have been swollen for months - but I think her next one to pop through will be the top right molar - I can feel it just beneath the gums. And - yes she has been miserable lately....poor girl.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.