Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I never thought a stranger could make me this mad. Below is a link to a Letter to the Editor about my nurse-in experience, on a side note, I'm 28 not 24!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not to say that there aren't many very mature 24 year old mothers but she focused so much on age.)

http://www.projo.com/opinion/letters...o.3023c9d.html

And now my response which is sealed up and ready to be mailed tomorrow. Please let me know what you think. I just couldn't let this go without responding
: .

Dear Sir or Madam:

I would truly appreciate the opportunity to clarify some remarks made by a Dolores Jordan of Greenville, RI in a Letter to the Editor in the Providence Journal dated July 26, 2006.

I am truly disappointed that some people may have misinterpreted the purpose of the display made by women across the country while trying to bring to light the plight of mothers who choose to nurse their children in public. I'd first like to clarify that I am not a 24 year old young mother as stated in a previous letter. I am a 28 year old woman who spends every waking minute of my day caring for my 5 month old son whom I have not left once since he was born on February 17.

The other point that I'd like to clarify is that nursing mothers involved in this movement are not trying to bring attention to ourselves but rather to have it taken away. We would simply like our society to stop discriminating against us based on the method we choose to feed our children. We would like to not be forced into bathrooms and be threatened with calls to the police when we have the right under RI state law to feed our children where ever we are legally allowed to be. While participating in this event I was able to demonstrate that nursing in public can be done with great discretion, there are women, young and old, who walk around wearing clothing that shows more of their bodies that I show while feeding my son.

The bottom line is, as the letter from Ms. Jordan states, breastfeeding has been normal and beautiful since the beginning of creation. Please don't banish us from society because we are trying to give our children the best start to life that we feel is possible.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Good letter!

It would be hard for me to resist the personal attacks -- based on her name, I'd bet that when SHE was 24 she was long past "young mother" herself, and likely had children who were at least four years old if not older (I'm guessing she's in her 60's or 70's, I've never known a woman with that name who wasn't that old at least).

Arrgh.
:

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Since when is 24 a young mother?? (says the 24 year old mother of 2...)

Anyway, great response!! Some people totally miss the message.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I like your response. I felt angry reading Delores' letter. Not only because of her total misunderstanding of you and the reason you were there (what the hey made her decide you were 24??), but, less importantly, because her letter stopped making sense at the end. I don't think she knows what the word "transcend" means.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:
The other point that I'd like to clarify is that nursing mothers involved in this movement are not trying to bring attention to ourselves but rather to have it taken away.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I'm 20. I'm a young mother. I don't consider 24-28 to be that young. Yes, you're still in your youth...but at what point does someone stop being a 'young mother'? I think the 'normal age' most people want children is 24-25. Wouldn't that just make them a normal mother?

As for breastfeeding being exhibition, how ridiculous. You're just feeding your baby because he's hungry. It's your right and his right, and you've got every right to exercise it to show how normal it is and that we're not going anywhere.

We MUST think we deserve some kind of special recognition; we must think EVERYONE is interested because we exercise our right to nurse outside a store that denies that right to mothers on a regular basis. How stupid.

·
Registered
427 Posts
do you know that page has a DD coolata ad..... now u have gone and done it. lol

Where you the only one there? Why'd she single you out like that?

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Yes, she was the only one there and there was a *great* article, very supportive of BFIP, that came out of it (I hope it was kept and put in a baby book
) .... The journalist reporting compared her to a model and talked about all the people walking by who didn't notice at all, a nice comment from an (Israeli born) vendor nearby about how motherhood is beautiful, etc. I think it was my fave of all the VS Nurse-In articles, actually.

So sad that someone could take offense. The woman was certainly not there, and it's not like the article was negative at all, nor did it portray the OP as some sort of opportunistic exhibitionist, which "Dolores" obviously is assuming she was (makes me wonder if she even *read* the article).

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeDeeLenae
Since when is 24 a young mother?? (says the 24 year old mother of 2...)

Anyway, great response!! Some people totally miss the message.
Indeed, I don't believe 24 is young at all! My plan is to have my 3rd by that age (19, pg with #1)

Why does age have anything to do with it anyway?

I agree, great letter!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:
The other point that I'd like to clarify is that nursing mothers involved in this movement are not trying to bring attention to ourselves but rather to have it taken away.
WoW! What a great point to make, and well done!!!!

Jessica

1 - 12 of 12 Posts