Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought if I don't do it tonight, I may never find time to do it.
Anyway, I was due May 18th according to my period and 13th per ultrasound, and the morning of 18th, I had a reiki appointment scheduled. I had never had one before, but had found out that it helps during birth. The chiropractor's office I had been going to had a promotion for 37$ for first time, so I jumped on it. I was wondering though if it would start the labor.

The reiki master had me on my back the entire time which I hated. Apparently, she was balancing my energy although I couldn't see or feel what she was doing because she blindfolded me. She also did some acupressure at the end.

I came home feeling kind of down and worn off. I remember I had to eat a big lunch to compensate for whatever energy balance or loss.

I don't remember much of the rest of that day, I think I was very tired and might have napped.

Then at night I started feeling cramps, I noted them but was so dead tired that after waking up to drink water/pee I would drop back to bed. In the morning I still had the cramps but was waiting for them to go away. I had to be at the midwife's at 1 pm, and just went back to bed feeling really tired after I saw DH and DS off to work/school.

At some point of morning napping I realized the pain had traveled to my lower back and was not going away but picking up instead. I woke up to see if movement would help and it did. I went to pee and saw some blood. I knew things were getting real bc with DS I started having intense labor right after the bloody show. I realized that I needed to clean up the clutter in the bathroom in case the midwife would come. I started washing some clothes by hand and noticed how hard it became to manage contractions while just standing up. It was 10:30 am. I called my husband and told him that was probably it. He said, "NO WAY! She needs to stay in for another week!" See, DS was 1 week overdue, so that's what DH expected with this one. I told him I would call with an update.

I texted the midwife, and she acted nonchalant too saying that I'd better come to see her at 1pm anyway. I timed my contractions and they were 1 min long about 2 mins apart. I texted her that and the mucus plug loss, and she said she would need to pack up and come.

After noon, the midwife, her assistant, and hubby all came in at the same time. I had a TENS unit attached to my back, had cleaned the bathroom by then, and was just sitting on a birthing ball texting my friend to get DS from school and keep him.

I moved around the house all the time, esp during the contractions. It helped a lot. I wasn't feeling much pain. When the midwife checked the dilation, I was 8cm. Shocking, I thought I was like 3. I talked to them, laughed, etc. all the way till the contractions became really intense which I figured was time to get in the tub/birthing pool they had been preparing with DH all this time (shortage of hot water and absence of hose adapter). The water in the pool was too hot for me, I told them that but they said it needed to be for the baby not to get cold. I started feeling like passing out, throwing up, etc. Besides, just sitting there and not moving, not having the TENS unit attached didn't help to manage the pain.

I felt like pushing between contractions not during them. It was hard enough to stand the pain and on top of that I had to push. Per the midwife though I needed to rest in between. I feel like I should have listened to my body better. I got into the pool at 2, and at 2:33 my baby girl was born. My husband was sitting by the pool the entire time. He held my hand, let me chew his shirt and squeeze his arms really bad.

It was an amazing feeling to feel the baby head with my hand moving lower. And scary at the same time, too, bc it was causing the "ring of fire" and I was afraid to tear.

I remember the midwife say "Here is the head" when the head came out - and I knew that, I had felt it, and then she told me to push out the shoulders and said "And here is the baby!" - AND MY DAUGHTER WAS HERE!

She started crying right away making a funny face with her bottom lip curving up, and we just snuggled all three of us - two of us still in the water and daddy right beside. It was a miraculous experience. I am grateful to my husband for supporting me with this and for helping so much during labor. He fell in love with the girl right away, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Congratulations on the arrival of Letting to life on the outside! Enjoy your sweet baby girl!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Congrats! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Congratulations! I'm not part of your due-date club, but I noticed the post because I go by Lettie in my everyday life and I've always liked my name. Good choice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts