Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has brought lice home in abundance. I get her on weekends and it seems every time or second time I check she has lice. I have used chemicals and they failed, I have used dr meds, no luck. Now I comb every time I get her but her dad does nothing like this to stop it.
Does anyone know a method, product that works? repels?

Please help, mommy is begining to itch.
:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I've read about using olive oil to drown them and then picking out all dead bugs, nits and eggs. Walmart sells a chemical free lice product. Maybe that will work?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
If her dad isn't doing anything to help, she's probably getting reinfested at his place. Can you get him to use a dandruff shampoo? That sometimes helps keep them at bay.
Also, vaseline really works. You goop it on at the roots and bring it down to the ends and then put a shower cap on overnight. There is no way they can survive. The only problem is that it's extremely difficult to get out. You might need to use grease cutting dish soap a few times and then shampoo and even still, it will take a few more washes to get totally out.

You also have to bag up all stuffed animals and pillows and things for at least 24 hours. And bedding needs to be washed.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
nit combing is the key to getting rid of them, along with keeping clothes and bedding washed daily, sometimes furniture needs to be covered with plastic for 2 weeks-1 month. it sounds like he is not being reasonable about this.
I would consider taking the kid to the doc and then having him document the lack of care. Another considerations is the health department, maybe have a worker show up and let him know that this needs to be taken care of.

here is an interesting link

http://www.fractalfairy.com/lice/index.html

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I would think there is nothing you could do if you only have dc on weekends. And even if you could get dc nit free I could only assume that everyone at her weekday house has them and would just re-infest her.
As for you currently, buy some nit combs and comb everyone in your household till nit free. Wash the bedding and towels every day and don't let clean and dirty clothes mingle. I wouldn't worry about furniture as the bugs mostly go directly from 1 host to another.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I would call the health department and tell them what is going on and ask for solutions. Even if you don't want tension between you and your ex, something needs to be done about the lice situation. Also talk with your daughter about sharing combs and hairbrushes with other kids. It might just be that she and a friend keep passing them back and forth to each other, and not your ex's fault at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.