Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Life Is Good Unschooling Conference 2010 is less than 5 months away! Come join in on this AMAZING conference. There is something for every age, lifestyle, and family. If you currently unschool, are curious about unschooling, want to unschool but don't know where to start -- come join in on this fabulous weekend of fun! There are a few new things to help newcomers feel welcome if you wish to partake....take a look around the website. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any specific questions!

Here is the link to register:

LIFE IS GOOD CONFERENCE

Randi (who went to 2 LIG's PRE-KIDS!)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would love more info from those who've gone. We are a shy, no crowds kind of family, and so stay away from things like this. Yet I think it could be such a great experience too.

Is there space to have quiet, or at least are the actual sleeping floors of the hotel quiet, even if some kids are staying up later than mine? We are unschoolers in terms of our homeschooling, but not our lifestyle. How well does that mix at such an event? is it all whole life/radical unschoolers?

It looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Another person with more questions, I've been reading about the conference since ds was in my womb but I'm not sure about taking him at 4yrs.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I went last year to the Life is Good Conference with my then 3 almost 4 year old, and my almost 2 year old, we didn't stay at the hotel (with family near by where we were living). My oldest had a great time! I would take them again this year, but I don't think the timing is going to work out with our family plans this year.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WCM View Post
I would love m\ore info from those who've gone. We are a shy, no crowds kind of family, and so stay away from things like this. Yet I think it could be such a great experience too.

Is there space to have quiet, or at least are the actual sleeping floors of the hotel quiet, even if some kids are staying up later than mine? We are unschoolers in terms of our homeschooling, but not our lifestyle. How well does that mix at such an event? is it all whole life/radical unschoolers?

It looks like a lot of fun.

WCM - it looks like you are up in BC, and I just wanted to let you know that there is a little Unschooling Conference being planned in Bellingham in April, must go get the kids, but if you want more info PM me or the OP.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
We went two years ago. I like small groups and quiet. It was rather noisy and chaotic for me. But we were able to chill out in our hotel room. There was a bit of running about in the halls, but not too bothersome. We stay up late, but we're not radical.

I noticed on the website for this year that you can ask for a buddy or mentor or something to help you out since many people find the conference overwhelming. It asked to specify whether you are radical or educational unschoolers.

We would like to go this year, but finances will likely prohibit this. DD really wants to go. She loved it. Helps that they have a heated pool. We spent a lot of time in the pool.

We did enjoy most of the events. DH liked the dads' group. I went to a couple of smaller group things. Maybe one larger group lecture. The Barefoot Boogie was fun. We attended half the concert and skipped the talent show to go swimming. (DD is part fish.)

If we manage scrape together the money, we might try to go this year. I would take advantage of the mentoring thing, too, if I couldn't find someone I already knew who was going. I like having at least one familiar face (besides DH) when I go to something like this.

I think there were a fair amount of people from Canada the year we went.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Subbing... I think we're going to go. I don't think DH wants to spend that much $$ on it though. Oh well. I will drag him. I think he'll really like it once we get there. If it's too crowded, he'll be completely turned off. I don't think he would ever agree to a buddy either, but I love that idea!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There will be a non-con (non-conference) type gathering in Bellingham in late April for those that want to get to know other families in a smaller setting before going to the BIG conference. I am co-hosting this gathering

I have all the info on facebook and am willing to tell people about it - but do not want to post all the info here afraid it may get HUGE.

PM me if you are interested and I can send you the information on it.

It will be an awesome weekend!
Randi

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
Wow, that looks like a LOT of fun! I so wish we could go. The older Paul gets the more we really fall inline with unschooling, plus my hubby is really coming around. I wish it was closer!

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
I am also a person who doesn't like crowds and noise... and it does tend to be BUSY. But, it does help to check your expectations and realize that you don't have to participate in anything. For me it's good simply to soak up the positive atmosphere and have a few quiet conversations here and there, and I retreat to my room or the pool when I need to. Getting up early (when it's quiet in the hotel) helps too. The kids on the other hand, love everything about it. They talk about it all year until it's time to go back!

The hotel rooms have always seemed to me to be a pretty safe refuge. We've haven't had issues yet with too much noise in the hallways. I did once ask some teenagers who were gathered in a stairwell at a late hour to keep it down and they were cool about it. The thing is, this is a celebration for people and they want to get as much out of it as they can, but at the same time it's an unusually respectful crowd.

There are a lot of radical unschoolers.
But there's definitely a spectrum -- I've run into a lot of people that were there because they were on the fence whether to even unschool or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.