Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a work trip to Montreal and 5mo Ds is coming along. Dh will be taking care of him when I'm in meetings, but we'll also have some time to putter about.

I'm hoping some Canadian mamas or papas, or others who've traveled in Canada, can tell me a little about what I can expect there with things like NIP, changing tables in public restrooms, family friendly/public reception of babes in restaurants, etc.

More specifically, I need to know if carseats are allowed or required in taxis, airport shuttles, and other public transport. Are they going to laugh at me if I try to use one or refuse to drive me if we don't?

Also, anyone know what kind of store in Canada I would be able to buy a nipple shield? I'm taking several back-ups but I'd like to know 'just in case'. {Why yes, I am a worry wort
}

Any info/advice will be welcome!

ETA: I've been to Canada before, but never as a parent, and I don't want to make assumptions about how similar/different things will be for us there. KWIM? Did I mention that I tend to worry?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I'm in BC Canada but I've heard Montreal is awesome!!! BEAUTIFUL there.

NIP. I believe all provinces a woman has every right to breastfeed in public. Laws protecting the woman. I nurse my son wherever anyways...never been told otherwise.

I believe in taxi's you HAVE to have a car seat. I *think* but I've never taken a taxi before.

Have you tried posting in Finding Your Tribe? That would be a great place to get answers (go to the Canada section and post in there).

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Starbucks always seem to have change rooms...same with government buildings. NIP is very accepted in large cities IMO. Also remember you can NIP everywhere and anywhere legally. No one can legally tell you to stop. Carseats are not required on buses or shuttles, and I'm pretty sure not required in cab's BUT I would never put my ds in a cab without one.
I know there is a company that rents childrens equipment...your hotel might have that info.

Dawn

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Umm...

We aren't some wierd foreign nation you know. We *do* have the same laws as America....you know, you have to have a car seat in a moving vehicle and whatnot. The only diff is, we dont give a flying fart if you NIP or not. And Montreal is one of the MOST liberal cities, so you wont even have anyone bat an eye.

They will refuse to drive you if you dont have a car seat. sorry...anal as it seems, it's for the safety because you've never driven in Montreal, Trust me YOU WANT A CAR SEAT!
:

Nipple shield: Pharmacy, if you can't find a pharmacy that has one hit the phone book and call up the LLL in Montreal and they can point you in the right direction.

Every woman's restroom has a change table..

Sheesh, you swear we were some third world nation or whatever...yikes..

*tempted to say something about snowsuits but wont*

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
here in winnipeg (also far from montreal, but closer than bc) it's ok to ride in a taxi without a carseat. NIP is just fine. changetables are pretty easy to find. i've changed ds (9 mos now) on benches and lawns in public and never gotten any dirty looks.
in general i've felt more welcome to go pretty much anywhere in canada with a baby than i did while in the usa. that depends on the noise level of your baby, too, though, i guess.
bon voyage!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks mamas for sharing your insights and tips. We tend to change Ds most anywhere here, I'll look for the green Starbucks mermaid if we're in need. I figured I would find NIP an easy go, but wondered about restaurants. Its a major toss up whether Ds will be content or not so we'll probably do take out in the hotel room or eat at open-air cafes. I've heard there's a lot of good restaurants in Montreal and I'm looking forward to some good eating

You know Pandora, as much as I appreciate the info, I find your attitude unecessarily rude.
: Half the time Canadians are insulted that Amrericans don't recognize Canada is a different country, the other half they want to claim no difference.
Its not like I'm asking you how to dress my son for your arctic summers, or whether you have electricity and running water.

Besides, according to the information shared on this thread there are different laws in Canada. My right to breastfeed here (where I live) is not legally protected. I can be asked to leave any establishment public or private. I am not required to use car seats in taxis, and most of them either don't have working seatbelts in the back seat or the willingness to wait while you install one. I've heard traffic in Montreal is bad, hence the questions.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't actually been that far east, but I'm a full-blooded Canadian (from BC too) and I can assure you that NIP is so easy! I'm saddened by all the posts I read about the US not allowing it, or people being asked to leave restaurants, etc. You shouldn't have any issue at all about NIP anywhere. All I've ever gotten is smiles and people wanting to check out my baby.

As far as car seats go, I couldn't tell you. I wouldn't consider not using one, but I don't actually know what the law is on it. You can take your own car seat and check it at the airline counter. They won't throw it in with the ordinary luggage, they're actually very careful with it. That's what I'd do (did), then you're sure to have it. Probably not going to work on buses though, since they don't have seatbelts!

Any drugstore or Wal-mart or the like will have nipple shields. We're very family friendly here in Canada. My best piece of advice is to look for the "parent's room" or the wheelchair washrooms as they're very suitable for baby changing.

Enjoy our country! I'm jealous, I'd love to visit Montreal some day.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valian
Thanks mamas for sharing your insights and tips. We tend to change Ds most anywhere here, I'll look for the green Starbucks mermaid if we're in need. I figured I would find NIP an easy go, but wondered about restaurants. Its a major toss up whether Ds will be content or not so we'll probably do take out in the hotel room or eat at open-air cafes. I've heard there's a lot of good restaurants in Montreal and I'm looking forward to some good eating

You know Pandora, as much as I appreciate the info, I find your attitude unecessarily rude.
: Half the time Canadians are insulted that Amrericans don't recognize Canada is a different country, the other half they want to claim no difference.
Its not like I'm asking you how to dress my son for your arctic summers, or whether you have electricity and running water.

Besides, according to the information shared on this thread there are different laws in Canada. My right to breastfeed here (where I live) is not legally protected. I can be asked to leave any establishment public or private. I am not required to use car seats in taxis, and most of them either don't have working seatbelts in the back seat or the willingness to wait while you install one. I've heard traffic in Montreal is bad, hence the questions.
Sorry I just get offended when people think it's some sort of far away 3rd world country, when it really isnt.

Montreal is *very* child friendly. Dont worry. Babies are welcome *everywhere* there. You can NIP till your hearts content.

But trust me, bring a car seat...at least your blood pressure will thank you...

our laws are more liberal, yet more strict (usually when it comes to child safety)

Trust me you can take your babe into Dunns and get the best Smoked meat on the planet. You can take your babe into La Belle Province (Best greasy spoon joint EVAR) and they wont even look at you funny. It's very...almost..European in their views of children.

No one will look at you or care if you bring your babe anywhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Quote:
My right to breastfeed here (where I live) is not legally protected. I can be asked to leave any establishment public or private.
: That is a SIN, when are they going to understand that you are feeding your child the way nature intended...GRRRR

Anyway on to your questions.

You can pretty much NIP anywhere here, that is not to say you wont get looks or muttered comments...but you are legally entitled to do it.

I honestly dont know the laws about Taxi's and carseats, I have never seen a child in one before...but I personally would, especially in Montreal...it is crazy busya nd fast.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Ummm...isn't it law that women can go topless in Canada if they so choose?? I know it is at least in TO....not that I've ever even heard of anyone choosing to exercises that right- I'm almost certain it's legal whether a babe be present or not!

NIP or BWing is not a big deal for the most part- but you never know where rude and closed-minded people lurk. I did learn that Tim Hortons (popular coffee chain) got rid of all their change tables because a child got a head injury after falling off and they got sued (or had some legal action taken against them).

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again everyone.

We will take along a car seat, I just don't want to have expectations one way or the other, only to be rudely surprised when we get there.

No worries Pandoara. I grew up "across the river" in Detroit and thus have probably spent more time in Canada than the average American. I've just never been there as a parent so noticing things like nursing women and changing tables, or even whether there were babies in my restaurant were totally not on my radar.

Yeah, Wisconsin is one of worst states for legal protection of bf. In fact, my only protection is that they can't ticket me for "public indecency" and haul me off to jail.
Boy, don't I feel safe and supported. I am soooo looking forward to being able to NIP in a more relaxed atmosphere. Its not that I am embarassed to NIP, and using said nipple shield I certainly do some flashing of skin, but I really feel the lack of legal support. Writing this I think its a bigger stressor than I usually acknowledge; how sad is it that I have to spend any energy worrying about having a backup plan in case I am asked to leave someplace.
: Sigh.

This (working) vacation is going to be great. I am really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eirual
Ummm...isn't it law that women can go topless in Canada if they so choose?? I know it is at least in TO....not that I've ever even heard of anyone choosing to exercises that right- I'm almost certain it's legal whether a babe be present or not!

NIP or BWing is not a big deal for the most part- but you never know where rude and closed-minded people lurk. I did learn that Tim Hortons (popular coffee chain) got rid of all their change tables because a child got a head injury after falling off and they got sued (or had some legal action taken against them).
Women going topless is legal in ONtario and B.C. I've seen a few women go topless. I think it is great.

I've never seen a change table in a Tim Hortons ever until recently.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
Trust me you want to ride in a taxi with a Car seat in hand ESPECIALLY in Montreal. Not joking. They drive INSANE there...
.. hey that is what i thought. no offence to our montreal mommas.

I am also in BC and i fnid nipple shields at any drug store!
and i nurse where ever i please, where i live it is a very BF supportive community!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there.

Lived in Montreal for 10 years. Great city! So much fun! I highly suggest that you DO NOT take a cab in the city if it can be avoided. The Metro (Subway system) is great and the city is actually relatively small. I used to walk almost everywhere. Of course, that all depends on where you are staying. You should be okay taking a cab from the airport-those guys are a little more normal, but be warned, when I lived there, EVERY cab drive I ever had was insane. One told me that I didn't have to wear my seatbelt (we were getting on the highway tho...and I always wear it). When I told him I was aware of that he then proceeded ask me if I thought my life was worth saving! Perhaps I just had the worst luck with cab drivers, I know they aren't ALL like that.

You do in fact need a car seat though. I'm sure of it. Just ask to gate check it on the airplane. It will be handled more carefully that way and will be the last thing on and the first off.

Oh, and yes, it IS true...Montreal is extremely liberal. So, don't even worry about BF in public. They won't even look twice if you flash them a little!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I don't know what y'all are talking about. We used to go up to Montreal all the time, for a week or so each time, and never saw any of this crazy driving. Ok, so some people (two, specifically) run yellow lights, or start going when it's still red, but that was it. We went on weekends and weekdays, and never had any problems? I never took a cab though - so maybe that's what people mean about crazy drivers, but we did drive, walk, and take the underground transport extensively.

Other than that, I say - have fun! We love, love, love Montreal and stayed in this great aparthotel where the babe could run free and we could cook our dinners. We also loved eating at the Le Commensal veggie buffet. Mmm. Buffet. Veggie Buffet. I'm jealous.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I'm a Montreal mom.. well... I was until I moved to the south shore about 2 years ago

Anyways... you got some great advice...
NIP.... did it everywhere and never got a look... I did get quite a few smiles though

Taxis: avoid... crazy drivers... watch out when you want to cross the street too... but of course everyone jaywalks too so pedestrians are not better... and even scarier are bike carriers...
You don't need a car seat in taxis legally... in all other vehicules you do though... you might get looks though if you bring a carseat in a taxi...
:
You can't really bring a carseat on the bus or metro (no seatbelts).. but shuttles have seatbelts I beleive so that should not be a problem.

The city is great... tons of things to do... Most large pharmacies have nipple shields... go to the back where the prescriptions are and there is often a case with Medela products etc...

The public transportation here is great.... however, the Metro is not a good place for strollers... many stations do not have escalators so you are stuck lugging a stroller up a few flights of stairs... Babywearing is practived more and more and DH tells me everyday (he works downtown) that he just sees more and more kids in slings and wraps and structured backpacks... alot easier to get around that way too...

There are tons of places to change babes... many places even have changing rooms in the mens room... We just went smoke free everywhere public so that is a really good thing to know also...

Hope you have a great trip! if you want to know more about cool things to do or good restaurants to go to just ask

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
I don't know what y'all are talking about. We used to go up to Montreal all the time, for a week or so each time, and never saw any of this crazy driving. Ok, so some people (two, specifically) run yellow lights, or start going when it's still red, but that was it. We went on weekends and weekdays, and never had any problems? I never took a cab though - so maybe that's what people mean about crazy drivers, but we did drive, walk, and take the underground transport extensively.

Other than that, I say - have fun! We love, love, love Montreal and stayed in this great aparthotel where the babe could run free and we could cook our dinners. We also loved eating at the Le Commensal veggie buffet. Mmm. Buffet. Veggie Buffet. I'm jealous.
>.> My husband was practically RAISED in Montreal (after his short stint in Victoria when we met in Grade 4) and umm..yeah..crazy driving. seriously...*shudders flashbacks from wedding in the Laurentians* Has nothing to do with the running of the lights...it's more lethal for pedestrians in Montreal than it is for other drivers.

Let's just say there are 3 ways to cross the street, only ONE won't get you killed.

1: Wait for the walk signal (You will get run over)
2: Cross against the lights at an intersection (Yup better find a shovel)
3: Wander aimlessly across the street, not caring if you're anywhere near a crosswalk or intersection (You will live!)

Heck, Montreal is the only city that has timed crosswalks, and it's LEGAL to hit the pedestrians if they don't make it across in time.

Crazy crazy drivers...Beautiful city. Love visiting there, Just crazy crazy drivers, and even more insane pedestrians! Heck, my DH almost smoked a guy who just darted out from between two cars without looking.

But be sure to stop at La Belle Province for some REAL kick ass Poutine!!!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.