Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know how "lifetime maximums" work with insurance coverage? For instance, if we get Blue Cross Blue Shield through my husbands employer, and it has a lifetime maximum of 5,000,000,000 - does that really mean if my daughter uses that up while she is our dependant, and then grows up and gets a job with an employer who also happens to offer Blue Cross blue Shield insurance, she would not be eligible for ANY more coverage through that insurance company?? I am confused and worried about that prospect. 5million seems like a huge amount, but honestly, if one has a couple of major surgeries, or a chronic illness, or an organ transplant, that could be gone very quickly...

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vbactivist View Post
does anyone know how "lifetime maximums" work with insurance coverage? For instance, if we get Blue Cross Blue Shield through my husbands employer, and it has a lifetime maximum of 5,000,000,000 - does that really mean if my daughter uses that up while she is our dependant, and then grows up and gets a job with an employer who also happens to offer Blue Cross blue Shield insurance, she would not be eligible for ANY more coverage through that insurance company?? I am confused and worried about that prospect. 5million seems like a huge amount, but honestly, if one has a couple of major surgeries, or a chronic illness, or an organ transplant, that could be gone very quickly...
I don't know how it works specifically but if it is reassuring to you consider that my mother had cancer for 15 years, multiple major surgeries and her bills did not add up over the years to anything approaching 5,000,000.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
I think it means the particular insurance policy you have right now is for the amount you stated. When she grows up she will most likely have a completly different policy with a different lifetime cap.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kijip View Post
I don't know how it works specifically but if it is reassuring to you consider that my mother had cancer for 15 years, multiple major surgeries and her bills did not add up over the years to anything approaching 5,000,000.

that is reassuring - my daughter has already accrued ove 200,000 in med bills - but it's difficult to wrap my mind around a number like 5 mil. thanks. and sorry to hear about your mom.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWrangler View Post
I think it means the particular insurance policy you have right now is for the amount you stated. When she grows up she will most likely have a completly different policy with a different lifetime cap.
that's what I thought too. but on one site it looked like it was for that speciifc company. and i am thinking particularl of BCBS - because they are so big. it seems so many use their insurance. hopefully i won't have to worry about it. thanks for your response.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I think your best bet is to call the insurance company. Typically it refers to their policy with that specific number, but it is best to ask.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As of 2006 it was per company (although this may have changed since then)

DS accumulated 1 mil of medical bills his first year of life...so the lifetime max has always been as issue for us...when I was working, we would flip him from DH's to My insurance so we could avoid raking up tons of $ on one company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts