Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I had my first appointment today, at about 5 weeks, just kind of a medical history and lab tests, etc, no exam or ultrasound or anything. One thing the nurse told me (not the CNM, just the nurse doing the intake), was that I shouldn't be lifting more than 20 pounds, so that I don't put too much strain on myself or something. I wasn't told this during my first pregnancy. I'm healthy and have no history or risk of pregnancy complications. Has anyone else been told this, or taken this seriously? I'm thinking it would be impossible anyway, since I have a 32 lb. 3-year-old I pick up and carry all the time. What do you think? Should I just ignore this and continue picking up my daughter and other things, or already start being cautious? Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
<p>Did she give you specific reasons of why?  If not, then I'd call it hooey.<br><br>
We have a farm and I regularly lift 50 pounds.  I'm used to it.  There is zero reason why I should now start acting all girly and sickly just cause I'm pregnant.  Lord knows I did all of this BEFORE pregnant!  And before I KNEW I was pregnant!  So, it's obviously not detrimental to my health.  :)  If anything, it's helped make me stronger.  :)</p>

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>The only reason she mentioned was that routinely lifting heavy things can put too much strain on myself, or something like that. I'm pretty skeptical, especially this early in the pregnancy. With my first, between working at a bookstore and moving, I was lifting boxes and other heavy things, and there's no way I can avoid it with a toddler this time around. I just wanted to hear everyone else's input. Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
156 Posts
<p>I haven't been told this personally, have not seen a doctor yet, however I have heard of it. I thought that was the usual thing when pregnant not to do heavy lifting. I make sure I don't, the heaviest thing I probably carry is a bucket of water when I mop the floor, and now I'm pregnant I fill it with less water so it is lighter.</p>

·
Registered
661 Posts
<p>My first doctor told me that, and my midwife with my second said that if I'm not straining to lift something, it's not a problem.</p>

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
I follow that recommendation, but no health care professional has ever told me to. I just feel very physically uncomfortable lifting very much at all during my first trimester. Like I will feel cramping as soon as I pick something up. So I lift my toddler as little as possible. It's going to be a little harder this time since the little girl I watch is about 35-40 lbs and has to be worn on my back for about 20 minutes to go down for her nap, but I don't intend on carrying or lifting her or my own 2yo any more than is absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
271 Posts
<p>I carry my 25 lb daughter all the time. When I was pregnant with her, I carried her 25-30 lb brother until the day I went into full-term labor (obviously less frequently once I got enormous). Statistically speaking, my sample size is insignificant and there may be some risk, but personally I think if you're used to it, it's fine. Provided you don't have reason to be concerned, like spotting when you lift things.</p>

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
<p>I try to think about all the people throughout history that gave birth, in the field, or hopped off a horse, had a baby, and then got right back at it.  I think that a lot of our current day American medical system does a grave disservice to women.  I think if we were left to our instincts and to listen to our bodies, we'd be a much healthier group as a whole.  *WE* know if something doesn't feel right!  So don't do it!  But just because one person is not comfortable lifting, say....20 pounds....doesn't mean that every woman then should not lift 20 pounds.  We're all bred differently.  We've lived our lives differently.  We're capable of different amounts of stamina, etc.  And to try to regulate that, I think, takes the focus off the individual and their capabilities. Putting you in a box straight out of the gate.</p>

·
Registered
661 Posts
<p>A friend of mine just posted this on facebook, and I thought it was a good read. <a href="http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27198127&nid=1010&title=pregnant-woman-under-fire-for-rigorous-workout-routine&fm=home_page&s_cid=featured-5" target="_blank">http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27198127&nid=1010&title=pregnant-woman-under-fire-for-rigorous-workout-routine&fm=home_page&s_cid=featured-5</a> </p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts