Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4,229 Posts
I haven't seen Light Moutain here, sorry! I use a henna I get from my local health food store which I can't remember the name of, but it has a very pretty Indian divinity picture on the front

I don't know about the Lush stuff, either... OTOH, I really love Lush (but am not using it anymore, due to their use of SLS) OTOH, they let their henna sit out all day, and it isn't packaged, and oxidation causes henna to not be as strong a color... so, I don't know that it would be good from that point of view.

HTH!

· Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply. I checked our health food store with no luck

So I'm thinking my only luck would be lush, or to order some pure henna- but I don't have the time to mix and experiement (4 month old babe
), so I'll probably try the lush!

Thanks again!

· Registered
4,229 Posts
Oh, pure henna is usually the right way to go
The brand I use (and Light Mountain as well) is pure henna. It's "color coded" but it will work differently on different hair.

My hair, for example, is naturally dirty blonde. I also have ends that have been lightened. So, the color I choose (mohagony) which would look very dark red on someone with brown hair, looks orange/ red on my hair. (I knew it would be wild, but I didn't know *how* wild, and I LOVE IT!!!!)

So, what color is your hair? And what color do you want it to be? And is it chemically treated? All those will determine how the henna works on your hair

· Registered
4,206 Posts
Hey Alexis,

Unfortunately, it looks like Light Mountain is playing fast & loose with the truth. If it's offered in different colors, then it can't be pure henna -- although there's some subtle variation in color from henna from different regions, they all dye red. Probably LM adds different botanicals to "turn" the color, but it's not very honest of them to claim it's pure henna.

Hbbg, I know you said you didn't have time to experiment, but www.hennaforhair.com has a page with dozens of gorgeous color photos from people who henna'ed their hair -- and each one has the recipe that person used. It might save you some trouble. I would definitely encourage you to look into pure, body-art quality henna. Everyone I know who's tried it says the difference is amazing, not just in color but in the conditioning benefits, how easily it applies & rinses and so on. www.Mehandi.com is the sister site to Henna For Hair and it sells very high-quality pure henna. I don't know if they will ship to Canada but it can't hurt to ask

ETA: Henna for Hair is just a really amazing general-henna-info site. The webmistress is doing her doctoral on henna and other herbal hair dyes. She might well know more about henna than anyone else in the world! I really recommend the site for anyone who's thinking about henna.

· Registered
4,229 Posts
Kristin -- it's been a long time since I used Light Mountain, so my claim that they were pure henna wasn't based on their box, just my memory. I think some of the colors are pure henna, and some have other botanicals added.

The sites you mentioned are the best for henna
I didn't have them bookmarked on this computer (changed computers recently) and am glad to get them back

BTW, ine the "purity" of the henna (whether or not it has added extra botanicals or not) has a lot less to do with the outcome than whether the henna is fresh. In fact, I have used light mountain for henna tattooing (their "Black" henna, which has the addition of Indigo, makes excellent blue tattoos, which are completely safe -- unlike most "black henna.")

· Registered
4,206 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alexisyael
the "purity" of the henna (whether or not it has added extra botanicals or not) has a lot less to do with the outcome than whether the henna is fresh.
I think many people don't realize the effect that sitting in a box on a shelf has on their henna. I just got some henna (for my sister & niece) from Mehandi today, BTW -- it's going straight in the freezer!

I don't mean to imply that blends of henna & other herbs are bad, necessarily. Especially since in many cases blending the henna with other ingredients is the only way to get the color someone wants. It's just that I want to know exactly what's in that mix that's going on my head, and so many companies are dishonest about that (like claiming they offer different shades of pure henna, which is really common). If they already aren't telling the truth about that, what the heck else is in there that I might not want, KWIM?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.