Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lil_stinkyfeet View Post
I may need to start a different thread but can you tell me why you choose to do the drops as opposed to the injection?
I really don't have a choice on it, as they don't sell the injection to just anyone, and I'm planning to UC. I didn't do vit. K with my last UC baby and he was fine. I'm still waffling on whether to get the drops or not. This is the cheapest I could find them. http://www.beckernatural.com/catalog...ist%20Products

I may get them and only use them if the birth is traumatic. But if the birth is traumatic, I'll probably end up transferring to the hospital, where she can get the injection. Kind of a catch-22. Not that I really want her to get an injection. It kind of undermines the "gentle birth" philosophy. If the oral work, I'd rather she get those.

There's a thread here with some good links ... from the Sep DDC.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1130819

Also here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1119581

I took your suggestion and started a new thread.
I'm researched out on it today, I actually have a headache. I think my OCD has kicked in.... and I need to take a breather ... but I saw your ? when I was searching threads and wanted to reply back.

Anyone else has some good info though, feel free to chime in!

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MerelyGod View Post
I don't have anything to add, but the subject of this message cracks me up. Like, if your feet stink a little, try oral vitamin K.

Of course, I knew what you meant.

Catchy title, isn't it?

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Ahh I read in THIS article http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/vitktop.html That the use of Antibiotics inhibits the baby's generation of clotting factors. I never knew that... I had antibiotics with both my boys because I was Group B+, they also both had the Vitamin K injection.

My doctor never mentioned antibiotics to be a factor when I told her that I was planning on declining this time, we just talked more about if there was birth trauma. My Group B test came back negative this time though.

· Registered
1,748 Posts
So here is a question.. We are planning on doing delayed cord clamping unless there is a reason not to. With my Middle child's birth he was born not breathing.. as in completely blue and with no tone. Because of this my doctor wanted the cord cut immediately in order to bag him.

If something like that were to happen again to this baby and the cord was cut immediately do you think that would be grounds for getting a Vitamin K shot?

· Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lil_stinkyfeet View Post
So here is a question.. We are planning on doing delayed cord clamping unless there is a reason not to. With my Middle child's birth he was born not breathing.. as in completely blue and with no tone. Because of this my doctor wanted the cord cut immediately in order to bag him.

If something like that were to happen again to this baby and the cord was cut immediately do you think that would be grounds for getting a Vitamin K shot?
Yikes ... I don't know. As you probably know it's better not to cut the cord right away if baby is not breathing well. Did you have a shoulder dystocia?

· Registered
1,748 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenyd View Post
Yikes ... I don't know. As you probably know it's better not to cut the cord right away if baby is not breathing well. Did you have a shoulder dystocia?
No he didn't have shoulder dystocia. but the issue was that he wasn't breathing at ALL.. Normally she does not and will not cut the cord right away, she has no problem with them not crying ect.. but she said when there is no tone and they are totally limp and blue like that that she feels it is necessary to cut right away and get them resuscitated. One can only hope that something like that doesn't happen again though, I basically thought he was dead.

It is interesting that he is my SN child he has hyptonia which was speculated to have been caused from lack of oxygen at birth but after reading that about early cord cutting I was wondering if maybe that it may have contributed to the whole ordeal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.