Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading Adara's story gave me the inspiration to tell Lilly's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Saturday before Thanksgiving 2005 I went shopping for maternity clothes. I was getting near the third trimester and was finally showing. I had no idea that I would never get to wear any of those clothes.

I woke up Sunday swollen so bad that I could barely put on my shoes. I called my midwife and she told me that it was normal, but if I was worried I could come in on Monday. On Monday the swelling had gone down some, so I went to work and made plans for the holiday. Tuesday I woke up with the worst headache that I had ever had. I thought that my head was going to explode. I had to be at work at 6:00, so I went to work planning to wait till my drs office opened at 8:00. By the time I got to work I was so swollen that I could barely walk. My boss had me lay down until the office opened. By the time I got to the drs office my vision was blurry and I was seeing constant bright flashes. The midwife took one look at me and went to get the dr. Dr. Adcock came in and told me that my blood pressure was very high and that I had pre-eclampsia. He said that I would be put in the hospital and would most likely stay there for over a month till it was safe to deliver the baby. Before I went to the hospital I had an ultrasound to check the size of the baby and check the amount of amniotic fluid. My husband was an hour away, so I had called my mom and she was with me. As I lay there gazing at my baby on the ultrasound screen, I heard the tech whisper to the nurse, "Are you sure she is 29 weeks? This baby is too small". I asked if I should be worried and the tech said no that I was just going to have to give the baby a couple of more weeks to grow. I asked where the amniotic fluid was and there was a long silence and the tech said, "Well, there is not a lot of fluid, I'm having a hard time measuring it." In my confused state I actually thought I could fix that problem by drinking more water.

The rest of the day is a blur. I was given a steriod shot, hooked up to all sorts of machines, and made to stay on my left side. My bloodpressure kept climbing. The dr told me late in the afternoon that I would have to have a c-section Thanksgiving day. That would give enough time for the steriod shots to work. By that evening my bloodpressure was extremely high. They scheduled my c-section for the next morning. By that point I felt so horrible that I didn't really care.
I remember very little about Lilly's actual birth, except that I heard a little tiny cry and seeing a tiny little creature being worked on by drs and nurses. Before they took Lilly to the NICU, the neo brought her over to me and lifted her up so that I could see her. My first reaction was that she didn't look like a baby was supposed to. She looked like a tiny little old person.
Dr. Coppage (the neo) came to see me later he said that Lilly had surprised everyone. She weighed only 1 lb 13 oz, but she was breathing almost completely on her own. They had never seen a baby so small be so strong. He brought pictures that the nurses had taken. I didn't get to see Lilly till the next afternoon, but it was love at first sight. I cried seeing my tiny little girl covered in wires and tubes. But when I spoke, she opened her eyes and looked at me, it was like she knew her mommy was there.
Lilly spent six weeks in the NICU and came home weighing 3 lbs 11 oz. She has had problems gaining weight and some major developental delays, but she is such a fighter. Her current weight is 13 lbs 13 oz at 16 months old. Lilly looked like a delicate flower, but she was as strong as a lion.
Thanks for reading.
Pics and videos are in my sig.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
What an amazing story mama. I can't even imagine how scary and hard it must have been to go through all of that
. I am glad your girl is such a fighter, and is making her way after such a difficult start.
s to you and your family!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Thanks for sharing! That was beautiful, and Lilly is truly amazing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.