Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DD is 26 months old and I am almost 12 weeks pregnant. Nursing her is sometimes rather agravating. My nipples are sore, I get this "skin crawling, want to stop" feeling. Anyway, I have been trying to limit the amount or nursing she does. On an average day, she is anywhere from 2-3 times a night and 4-6 times a day. A little too much for me right now. However, when I try to limit the amount of time she nurses, (gently, using distraction, offering food, hugs, reading a story, playing a game), I notice that her behavior tends to worsen. She tends to become more clingy, whiny, and cries more, has more tantrums, less able to handle transititions and doesn't get along with other kids as well. When I let her nurse whenever she wants to, she seems to be happier, better-behaved. So, it is a trade-off, and for now I am just letting her nurse when she wants to. I would rather put up with the nursing and have a happier child.<br><br>
But, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Has anyone else's child really resisted a gradual, gentle, loving weaning?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was 12 weeks pg when ds was 32 months old so I do know how you feel! My milk was gone at about 16 weeks, so he backed off a bit but didn't stop. I night weaned him and that really helped my sanity! I could deal with day time much better once I knew I had the nights off.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I'm not in the position of limiting nursing time but your post made me recall that when ds1 was little, even after he stopped nursing, there was always a clear relationship between how much physical loving contact we had during the day, and his behavior. When we weren't able to connect affectionately as much, he was much harder to live with! This continued through about age 7-8. Maybe further, sometimes I think it still is like that but a 12 yr old is just not as available and for some reason just refuses to sit on laps for cuddles.:LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts