Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving to a new apt. We will have an illegal washing machine, and a line on our balcony. We can walk a few buildings down to coin-op wash and dry. Line drying will be most convenient.

I want to transition to mostly line drying, but am feeling emotionally reluctant. (I grew up mostly line drying, so I know I can get used to it).

What do you do to help reduce the crunch factor? Does fabric softener work?

What would you do about cd, baby clothes and work shirts. DH's shirts are wrinkle free, but I don't think that works with line drying. Regular ironing is not an option (although I am considering a steamer as a option for a Christmas present.) Anything else you would prefer walking to a dryer for?

If you only line dry some of your clothes how do you organize your hampers?

I am looking forward to the cost savings on line drying.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
shaking clothes out before hanging helps. Ideally, staying away from cotton helps. I find camping clothes are made to hang dry and can't tell the difference with line vs dryer. Same with wrinkle-free dress shirts, stay away from 100% cotton as I find the have to be ironed. You can iron clothes dry if wrinkles or speed are a concern. Look up RV supplies as I have seen a product that uses a hairdryer attached to a large garment-looking type bag to dry clothes.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
can i ask why ironing isnt an option? i hate it but i do it on occasion.. i do have DH trained to do his own office shirts etc.
for the dryer i would say you need to use it for towels...thick and big things like that...
cloth diapers are going to take a while to dry as well...
i hang up most 'clothes' and stuff like socks undies towels etc go in the dryer..

btw whats an illegal washer? and how do you hide one in an apt?

·
Registered
421 Posts
We mostly line dry diapers but I toss them in the dryer for 10 minutes to soften them a bit. If I do it before they are completely dry that helps, but even if I do it after they are dry they are a little bit softer. Maybe you could mostly line dry things and make a quick run to the coin-op for fluffing/softening at the end for the things where it will matter?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1growingsprout
for the dryer i would say you need to use it for towels...thick and big things like that...
cloth diapers are going to take a while to dry as well...
i hang up most 'clothes' and stuff like socks undies towels etc go in the dryer..
I hang out my towels and other linens more than I do anything else. I guess it depends on if you are in a hurry to dry something...otherwise having to leave the towels out for a few hours is no big deal to me.
I would put almost everything on the line, but DH doesn't like his jeans on the line because of the crunchiness.

I say for work shirts try to buy poly/cotton blends. Ironing isn't so bad if you don't have to iron everything and you have the time for it.

·
Premium Member
16,212 Posts
use less detergent--too much causes crunchiness.

And if you have hard water, your clothes will be crunchier than if you have "soft" water.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
micro-fiber towel are great after being hung dry. found in the automotive dept. You can use the small for CD and large for bath towels. I really these covers
http://www.weebees.com/products.asp?dept=29
After washing (hand or machine) I could either hang dry on a door knob or if I was out and about in a public bathroom, I could blot dry with a papertowel.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Vinegar in the rinse cycle definitely helps!
you can certainly fabric soften your clothes, but with the diapers-skip it-otherwise they don't soak up as well.

as far as the no-iron thing, i first shake everything once or twice, hang shirts upside down, clothes pinned to the side seams. this REALLY cuts down on the wrinkle factor.
i also hand flatten or stretch the collars, pockets and cuffs when i hang, this also helps.
i hang all trousers upside down from their cuffs, legs together, again, no ironing.
make gravity work for you!

good luck

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by louloubean
Vinegar in the rinse cycle definitely helps!
you can certainly fabric soften your clothes, but with the diapers-skip it-otherwise they don't soak up as well.
Vinegar is awesome IMO. I put vinegar in a Downy Ball so I don't have to pay attention to when the rinse cycle is coming.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Especially with crunchy cotton things, one thing that really helps is to stretch (but not overstretch) things on the line when you hang them, so that there are as few wrinkles as possible hanging down. Yes, it takes up more space, but at least you avoid the really big creases. Also, I take them down from the line and fold or hang when they are still oh-so-slightly damp, in other words, not as dry as a board. This is also a good point at which to iron, if there are pieces that you can't get away with ironing.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Moved on Aug 1st so didn't ahve time to reply.

Thanks for all of the info -it really helped me make decisions. I am enjoying the line dried smell. We are even line drying CD, and then I rub them a lot together to soften them up.
We plan on machine drying DH's work shirts, jeans, and baby towels - on those machine drying days we will machine dry the CD.

We don't like to iron. D age 3, saw an iron 6 months ago and asked what it was.
Ironing jsut seems like a waste of time. I can't multitask ironing while being with kids.

I haven't tried vinegar yet, but haven't added a lot of detergent to the machine, and I will try to pull the clothes off before dry as a board.

thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
I line dry just about everything I can including towels and diapers. I hang unders on a child size drying rack from IKEA and just spread socks in the basket and leave them on the patio while the rest hangs on the line out back.

When we had an apartment we had a rack that collapsed into the wall above the tub. The only bummer was finding 2 minutes to shower and realizing it would be spent taking laundry down.

As for crunchies, shaking things out before hanging helps as does letting the little ones play with the laundry before folding it.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommajb
As for crunchies, shaking things out before hanging helps as does letting the little ones play with the laundry before folding it.

everything everyone else said...
I shake out the clothes as I take them off the line, too! And I use the tiniest amount of detergent possible (maybe 2 or 3 tablespoons for a large load).

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
The crunchiness doesn't bother me. now when I dry things ina dryer it feels oily adn weird to me. like slippery. yuck I don't like it (and I never thought i would say that)

I think though that the longer you leave stuff out to dry the softer it gets! o figure.

also keep less clothing and towels. it's easier to wash the same few items than it is to wash 100 of the same thing? mostly b/c if you know you have few you'll use few. if you know you have lots you'll use lots! (I've tested this theory!)

you can keep extra towels and sheets for company or say a sick day when you didn't feel like washing clothes on an extra shelf. I do this with dishes too.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HennyPenny
The crunchiness doesn't bother me. now when I dry things ina dryer it feels oily adn weird to me. like slippery. yuck I don't like it (and I never thought i would say that)

Whenever I go to visit my mom (about once a month) she always does laundry for me (the day before we go home or whatever) and she is the queen of the dryer. It makes me feel like our stuff isn't clean, cause its all slimy.

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HennyPenny
I think though that the longer you leave stuff out to dry the softer it gets! o figure.

Now I won't feel so bad about leaving things out so long after they are dry.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Somewhere on MDC I read about using salt in the washing machine to soften hard water. I have been doing this and it seems to work.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
I usually like the cruchiness, that's just me. A good shake can tend to break up the stiffness. White vinegar in the rinse. I have a steamer that was very reasonably priced and so easy to use vs. iron. Again, a good shake prior to hanging will let the item dry without wrinkles 'drying in'. I've always hung dry cloth dipes; they smell better being dried outside. When it is really inclement we'll put them in the dryer. Also in wet weather, I'll let things hang dry until I feel they are just not going to get dry before sour smell sets in, and at that point I'll dry them in the dryer- shorter time since they are almost already dry.

Happy laundry-ing!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts