Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to cloth diaper my first, but have a question about drying. For those of you who line-dry your diapers, how long does it take? Do you find you need more than the recommended 2-3 dozen diapers since it takes longer to line-dry than machine-dry? How many should I get? And how long do covers take to dry on a line? I plan on using an indoor drying rack (like we do for all our other clothes) since we don't have a dryer, and November will be too cold to be drying outside (I figure the humidity the wet diapers will create indoors will be a bonus so we don't have to use a humidifier in the winter!).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Plan on around 2-3 hours though it will vary depending on the conditions inside. Rainy days take forever. Outside is less than 2 as long as it's sunny and not really humid.

Covers: depends on which types. PUL (bummis, proraps,etc) are almost dry when they come out of the washing machine. I usually leave them for about 2 hours but I would guess less than 1. Wool can take a while. Some nights, my wool isn't dry by morning, some days it is.

Nope 2-3 dozen should be enough. Mind you, you'll probably want to get the prefolds fluffed every so often. I find line dried without fluffing a little hard/stiff. You'll also want to use a dryer for the initial washing since it helps speed up the absorbancy. (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
It depends on the weather where you are.

We're in a fairly damp spot, and it takes a couple of days most of the year, and about a day in summer.

In winter we use a drying rack inside (if we're heating the house, might as well USE that heat!).

I wash every 2-3 days and have 4-5 days worth of nappies. If you get down to the last one, you can always chuck a couple in the dryer to finsih them off enough to wear.

Covers take a couple of hours - as do pockets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.