Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere online. Do you know if there is actually a link between women that have many strong BHC beginning early in their pregnancy (1st trimester), & experiencing premature labor and/or birth later in their pregnancy??

I ask because: This is my 3rd pregnancy. I am 17 weeks along. As with my previous pgs I started contracting during about my 10th week. My contractions are painful to very painful. I often have several an hour every hour, my midwife has told me to call her if I have more then 12 in 2 hours but honestly, I have that many pretty frequently. She's kinda freaked out, as were all my care providers in my previous pgs. Lying on my left side does usually calm my crazy uterus down, but not always.

With my 1st pg, eventually I wasn't able to stop the contractions & went to the hospital with premature labor at 28 weeks, again at 30 weeks or so, & she was born at 34 weeks. I was on bedrest since 28 weeks.

With my 2nd child, when my crazy BHC started up, my OBs put me on "partial bedrest" right away, at about 12 weeks. I had a zillion Cx as with my 1st pg, but he was born right on time at 40 weeks.

So my real question I am trying to figure out is, how concerned should I *really* be regarding my BHC this pregnancy?? I wish I had the magic answer! And you know what I *REALLY* want to know is, can I go to Burning Man when I'll be 27 weeks along???????
I reallyreallyreally want to go!!

Tomorrow I'm going to ask my mw if I will be able to get the fetal fibronectin test (cervical swab that tests for signs of labor beginning within 7-14 days) just before Bman, but I don't know if that would make any sense because we'd already have spent gazillions of dollars on Bman supplies & tickets & such & my dd is already sooo excited as this will be her 1st year.

AND, I just don't know how "careful" I should be taking it, y'know? Being that I was put on bedrest my previous pgs, I want to know if I should expect that again or just RELAX & not worry too much about my darn BHC. I would really like to know if statistically, heavy BHC are linked to early labor, AND, if any amount of bedrest will help me.

If you've read this far, thank you for listening!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
The answer is, as far as I'm aware, that no real research has been done. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I've checked for myself on many, many occasions and mainstream medicine seems to be ignoring the role of BH ctx in labour and pre-term labour.
All I can say, anecdotally, is that I have very strong BH too, and my first pregnancy went past 43 weeks.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
want to hear a theory...and remember I am no expert and it's just a theory but I think if you have what you think are BH and you end up with labour then they were not BH contractions but real labour contractions.

I have the occasional "real" contraction this pregnancy...but I am also having frequent BH...they are different. The BH while uncomfortable at times are not as painful...the real contractions make me real nervous...fortunately I only have maybe one a week.

In my last pregnancy I only had BH...I don't remember having real contractions until the last few weeks. I had BH from about 12 weeks...my daughter was born 16 days past the due date.

I think the early contractions you have are labour contractions...real ones...and that's why they lead to labour...if they were indeed just BH it wouldn't cause you to go into labour at all.

That said..maybe the contractions you are having are BH this time and won't lead you to labour...let's hope that's the case

Remember this is a theory...

disprove me at will

Take care
Carolyn

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I don't know about any research either. With my second pregnancy my BH started early, I think around 15 weeks or something. They were pretty much every ten minutes throughout the whole pregnancy and I went about a week "late". The labor was at least twice as long as my first and I had no BH, that I noticed, with my first. That one was two weeks "late".

·
Registered
0 Posts
Allgirls, I think you are absolutely right; BH contractions are not the same as preterm contractions. BH contractions will not lead to preterm labor. The problem is that most women cannot tell the difference; only an examination by a mw or doctor will tell you if you have cervical change. If there is cervical change, the contractions will be labelled "premature/preterm contractions" not BH contrax.

zjande, since you have a history of preterm labor and delivery, your caregiver should certainly keep a close eye on your uterine activity. I sounds like you have a very irritable uterus (lovely term, eh)? There are ways to calm it; hopefully you'll just cruise through this pregnancy. Stay well-hydrated and rest a lot. Good luck!!

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I started having bh contrax at the end of my first/beginning of 2nd trimester this time. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm still nursing. BUT I am SURE they are BH, because although they are VERY strong, very uncomfortable, make me grunt, etc, they don't hurt like real contrax. BH contrax don't hurt from what I've been told, so maybe you have real contrax and not BH? But then I guess some people equate uncomfortable w/ painful? I guess it is a fine line. I don't know what to say. Could you rent/borrow a wheelchair for bman and have your dh push you around at least part of the time? Iknow that's a pain when there are crowds, but it's an idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts