Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.2minutemedicine.com/alte...ith-decreased-flu-vaccine-uptake-in-children/

Complementary and alternative approaches to health (CAM) have seen an increase in popularity as a substitute or accompaniment to conventional medicine. As much as one third of Americans engage in some sort of CAM. Additionally, CAM has been implicated in anti-vaccine and vaccine-hesitant viewpoints amongst practitioners and patients.
I've noticed, in the last few years of my participation at MDC, that certain members here post links to bloggers who are bitterly hostile to various forms of alternative medicine. I can find relevant threads and post links if someone needs evidence of this phenomena.

These same bloggers are usually very strong (one could even say fanatical) vaccine supporters.

Is there a connection between passionate support of vaccines and hostility to alternative medical practices?

I like to turn things around. :grin:

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Well, skeptics hate CAM. They essentially hate anything that is not mainstream (allopathic) medicine. As far as I can tell, they believe that once something has a lot of evidence behind it, it switches over to being allopathic medicine.

There are some significant limitations and biases to this belief.

I am not sure all or even most CAM can do the sort of studies skeptics want. Even if they can, they might not choose to (shrug). They do well enough on their own, despite skeptics hate, largely due to failings in western medicine and human testimonials.

As per bias: one of the things skeptics bang on about the most is efficacy. They hate homeopathy because they think it does not work and we (poor plebes) are being swindled by quack doctors. It is funny, though, poor efficacy does not seem to be an issue with pharmaceuticals. Take this very forum - how often have you heard "any efficacy is better than no efficacy" with regard to vaccines? There was a huge thread once on efficacy - with many vaccine supporters defining effective as anything over zero.

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points!

But I still think there is some sort of specific link between attacking CAM and defending vaccines.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts

·
Registered
18,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This just came in. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/...may-be-linked-to-lower-vaccination-rates.html

Berating non-vax-compliant parents is (thankfully, perhaps) becoming somewhat passe. Compliance-pushers will now be going after their health care providers.
From that link:
"Respectful discussions with parents can sometimes lead to a change in their decision-making about vaccinations," Davis, who wasn't involved in the study, said by email.
Is Orac listening? How about Offit? And then there is Skeptical whatsisnickname.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts