Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hello, We are not vaccinating our kids and have been getting a lot of flack about it from my FIL who is also a doctor. Anyone have any scientific, peer review studies that suggest vaccines are unsafe or at least that it is not unsafe to not vaccinate?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
<p>Maybe a better route would be to explain to him that rational people can read the same data and come to different conclusions based on their personal values. So he could, for example, read the MMR vaccine insert and feel it is a good vaccine. You could read it and feel that it is "not worth the risk" because:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-the rubella portion can wear off</p>
<p>-the mumps portion is the least effective of the three yet probably the most prevalent of three diseases in the USA due to herd immunity</p>
<p>-the vaccine can cause encephalitis in 1 in 1 million kids given the vaccine (though some studies seem to find a much lower incidence, but that incidence is not zero)</p>
<p>-etc</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I look at those things and I feel the vaccine is still something I want to get my family, based on our situations and our values and our experiences. Another family, such as yourself, can look at these things and come to a different conclusion.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But the other aspect of this is that arguing and showing evidence to your father might not change his mind because of these same ideas: his experiences, values, and personal situations are different.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA- sorry this is novaxing area. I decided to leave it up since I think its still relevant and OK post here.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts