Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Some babies will still drink milk that has high lipase levels - some won't. I don't know if I'd describe it as a metal smell - in my experience it's always smelled rancid/spoiled. Milk generally changes the taste because of freezing - especially if it's been freezer burned at all.

If it truly is lipase you might also notice that your milk turns rancid once it is refrigerated as well. The cold is what activates the lipase.

The only "cure" for lipase issues is to boil or scald the milk before you cool it. It inactivates the lipase, but also kills a lot, if not all of the antibacterial, antiviral qualities of the milk. Freezing generally kills those qualities anyways, but any breastmilk is better than none

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
nak/toh

Yup, mine tastes like metal too and DD won't go near it so I had to throw out 100 oz. of EBM.
To be honest I hadn't tasted the milk myself but when I did, I realized why DD wouldn't drink it...it was horrid!!

I found this very useful thread on the LLL website about scalding EBM:
http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=297

You have to read through 24 pages of discussion but it was useful. Apparently you can use a bottle warmer to scald the milk (I do a double boiler method). Also, the thread really helped me figure out how long my milk could stay in the fridge before it needed to be scalded and frozen (for me 24 hours was the max).

HTH!

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you find your baby won't take the broken-down, lipase milk, consider donating it. A milk bank will pool the milk with other milk so the flavor may not be a problem. Also, you can donate to a baby who uses a feeding tube. The milk bank wouldn't take my milk because of the meds I was taking. I wish I had thought of donating to an individual before I threw out 100 ounces. Finally, you could try mixing 1/3 of the rejected milk with 2/3 fresh milk and see if baby will take that.

On another note, someone mentioned how scalding destroys properties of milk...it's not a huge consideration. Think about how milk banks receive frozen milk, then scald it (i.e. pasteurize it), then freeze it again before they dispense it. After all that "processing", the milk is still better than formula. It is still worth it for milk banks to exist because it is that beneficial.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.