Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have a couple recipes to share. You can add flavoring or coloring to any of these recipes. I usually use peppermint and beet juice or beet-root powder to make a lovely red lip stain.
Almond & Cocoa Butter Lip Gloss
1/2 tsp. grated beeswax
1 teaspoon cocoa butter (grated if using solid cocoa butter)
1 teaspoon almond oil
Melt the wax, cocoa butter, and oil together over medium heat in a glass measuring cup in a pan of boiling water (water bath). Pour the melted mixture into a lip gloss container or clean pillbox (both available at drugstores.)
Cool completely, until cool to the touch and solid in for. You can refrigerate the mixture to speed up cooling time.
Coconut-Almond Lip Gloss
1 tsp. coconut oil
1 tsp almond oil
1/2 tsp. grated beeswax
Mix together all ingredients, melt in either the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high (watch closely) or place the mixture in a double boiler or water bath on the stove top.
Pour into a clean lip gloss container and cool completely.
This is a solid, waxy gloss that can even be formed into a lipstick. You can buy empty lipstick containers or use old ones that have been cleaned out. Pour the mixture into these containers and allow to cool completely.
Beeswax Lipsticks
1/4 cup grated beeswax
3 Tbs. vegetable shortning
2 Tbs. cocoa butter
1 Tbs. light oil (I use almond oil)
Mix together all the ingredients in an ovenproof container. Heat the mixture gently in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes on high or in a double boiler or water bath on the stove top, until everyting is melted and you have a pale golden liquid.
Pour the melted mixture into a shallow greased par or cardboard box lined with foil. Allow the mixture to cool, then cut into lipsticks. You can also pour mixture into lip gloss containers or pill boxes.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I get beeswax from a local natural food store...I'm sure it's available somewhere on line too, not sure where though. Look in the yellow pagers under "beekeeping equipment" as many bee supy shops carry it.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Its not lipgloss, but I make a killer chapstick...

You take 1 TB each of Comfrey, Calendula, and Chamomile, and cover them with about 1/2 C of oils (i use Jojoba, hemp, sweet almond, Aloe, Apricot - a mix ), ikn a jar with a lid. Boil the jar for a few hrs.... Strain the herbs out of the oil, and then put back in the jar with beeswax - i do a little at a time and i check the consistency pretty regularly. Once its the right consistence, add some honey, some Vit e or Benzoin (like a dropperful - its to act as a preservative), and about 20 drops each of peppermint and eucalyptus e.o.
then pour into a measuring cup, and pour into containers. I get my containers from sunburstbottles.com

everyone raves about my chapstick....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey! I just used a combination of ideas above & made my first lipgloss!!!!

I didn't measure lol...but here's the ingredients:

beeswax
lanolin
olive oil
vitamin e
lavender eo
vanilla eo
a tiny bit of lipstick

& I melted it in a sauce pan over a pot of boiling water. Then put the mixture in a glass measuring cup & poured it in a lipgloss pot.

I can't wait until it drys!!!

Thanks for all the help!

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
These recipes look great! I'm a crafting wimp, so I ordered the lip balm kit from hearthsong (on sale and free shipping
). It comes with beeswax and EO. Right after I received it I found a local place to get beeswax and tubs, so I hope to do more in the future. I'm a lip balm junkie!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
here's a recipe for chocolate lip gloss:
(measurements are approx; I never measure my ingredients properly)
melt together about 1/4 c. oil, 1/2 Tbsp. beeswax and a dozen or so chocolate chips. pour into containers to set.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Sarasprings, my first lip balms were with the Hearthsong kit, and they are still my favorite.

FWIW, I have made up a bunch for family and friends at Christmastime, then stored them in the freezer. They were still fine the next fall. It's the oils that go off on you, I think, and the freezer stops the rancid process.

The chocolate one looks yummy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.