Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a list of ingredients that are supposedly bad for you - for the average people that aren't known to be sensitive to anything(yet!)

I know about:
High Fructose Corn syrup
MSG
Aluminum-containing stuff
BHT

What else?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Hydrogenated or partially-hydrogenated oils are really bad

Dyes

I avoid things that have REALLY long lists of hard to pronounce chemical sounding names (like heavily processed foods)!

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
non nutritive sweeteners like aspartamine, splenda, phenalalanine. Also Sugar alchohols like sorbatol and manatol.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If there's more than 1 or 2 words in the ingredients that aren't actual food, I usually don't buy it.

Instant no's are partially hydrogenated anything, HFCS (or even just regular corn syrup), MSG.

I'm also convinced that sodium benzoate is no good. I went for about 3 months one time where I did not eat one single processed food item, and when I had some food with preservative in it (sodium benzoate in particular) it made me feel pretty crummy.

Oh, I also try to not buy anything with ester of wood rosin or brominated vegetable oil. These ingredients are found mainly in citrus-flavored drinks, as they make the citrus oils disperse evenly in the water. They sound creepy to me, though.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
We try to stay away from all partially hydrogenated oils, artificial colors, artificial flavors, vanillin (artificial), high fructose corn syrup, all artificial sugars (aspartame, splenda, etc. . .), anything that says enriched (like pp said they have removed all the good stuff then added it back in artificially), like a pp said anything I can't pronounce or I don't know what it is I try to stay away from it because I feel it can't be natural or good for my body. We also try to stay away from soy products that don't say they are GMO free.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.