Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with a biter. My little 11 month old loves to clamp down and bite my nipple during nursing, he gets the biggest smile and thinks it is so cute. I have tried to firmly say "NO, you are hurting mama" and it does not phase him. He also likes to bite my shoulders, arms and neck. He is a little stinker...my other two did not do this.
Thanks,
Andrea

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
My feeling is that he can't bite and get milk. So if he really wants to eat, he will suck without biting. If I were in your position, I think I would be forced to end the nursing session and put him down on the floor if he won't stop.

Although my kids didn't bite often, I found that if they were doing that, they weren't very interested in eating.

Jeanne
mom to DDs (14,11,8) and DS (5)

·
Registered
796 Posts
If you think he's biting to be a stinker - you'll have to teach him somehow that biting = no boob. My daughter only bit when she was teething or if my supply was low - so we had a reason for the biting

·
Registered
770 Posts
We have a biter, just like you described. He gets to a point in the nursing session where he's struggling to stay awake and biting seems to be one of his amusements to fight sleep. He gets a glint in his eye and I can tell, but usually it's when he is biting down. I've tried "ouch, that hurts mama" and ended the nursing session. - he laughs until he's put all the way down, then commences really angry, mad crying until we nurse again. I've tried pulling him into the breast and he clamps down harder. I really don't know what to do other than deal with it at this point. He is only 10 months, and a major boob guy, so it's not like weaning is anywhere close. Other than ending the session, I'm just clenching my teeth and bearing with it for the time being. I hope someone posts some other ideas, cause I'd love to hear them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts