Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend's daughter is 7. For the last coule of weeks she has complained of her "privates" burning. Friend took a look and said it is both sides of the labia (not sure which) but there is no redness or itching or anything visible. She wouldn't think anything is wrong except that DD complains about it, even in the shower and says that the water was burning her. What could it be and what to do? My DD has had problems like that but I could always see it because she would be very red/inflamed. Baking soda always did the trick; I'm not sure the ped. would be that helpful. I was always told, no matter what, that it was just her toileting habits. I told friend I would suspect maybe a hidden food allergy or dermatitis, except again there is no redness or obvious sign of allergy that I would expect to see. ??

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
things i would consider:

1. not geting clean -- or dry -- maybe air out for a secod before pulling clothing back up?

2. Cheminal in TP or panities?

3. Panties too small -- or a bad cut for her body -- and rubbing or irrateing? or jeans too tight?

4. Has she discovered that part of her body and rubed it too much, too hard or with the cloth of her panites?

5. Hot? heat irratation?

6. material of panties or pants? (poly vs cotton, or something). either as allergy or as irratant?

If it is all external, not internal, and there is nothing visible I'd not rush to the Doc -- not sure what else they could suggest till the momma tries all the "obvious" things.

in the mean time -- a spritz bath or something just to sooth? air dry after bath?

Aimee

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Any chance of a bladder infection and the child is having a hard time identifing what part hurts? Sending healing vibes to your friend's dd~

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
While you're trying to figure out the problem, put some Desitin or other diaper-rash ointment on her. It will at least make her more comfortable and help heal the irritation while you look for the cause.

I had this problem growing up, too, and went through tons of Desitin. I never figured out exactly what it was and I eventually outgrew it. One thing I did learn was to not wear panties while at home. They were just trapping too much moisture, causing my VERY sensitive skin to get irritated.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My nearly 8 year old has had several episodes like this... However because we adopted her at the age of 5 and she had been s-abused I have NOT asked to look I have offered..... My daughter claims everything seems normal but it just stings.

We have treated it like a bladder infection by increasing her intake of fluids and cranberry juice and by "working" very hard on hygene issues. Our ped suggested adding some white vinigar to the bath water--no more bubble baths and teaching her how to shower rinse after her bath.

We have also changed panties twice a day and talked about proper wiping and self care.

When we have had these issues it seems they last a few days and then go away which has led me to wonder if it is not an alergy of some kind....

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Urinary tract infections are common in little girls. Maybe a doc could do a urine test for that?

Also- yeast infections can be internal. I'm sure it's rare before a kid is sexually active, but maybe it could be from antibiotics. Yeay infection oral meds are tough on the body- but only affect a person for a day or two. I might ask a doc about that as well.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I had this problem as a child. It ended up being a sensitivity to the soap I was using, but only in that area.

I also second the proper hygiene, and would check to make sure underwear and pants aren't too tight, as that could cause alot of irritation as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Could she sleep without underwear at night? With maybe a longer nightshirt? This happened to me when I was younger (about 10 maybe) and it seemed to help to be out of clothing as much as possible which isn't always easy at this age.

lula

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
if it's not a hygiene issue i would also suggest the soap. i have heard of several girls being sensitive to bubble baths. i would suggest after a bath with soap to have either a shower rinse or to let all the soapy water out of the bathtub and put fresh water in and rinse in that. sometimes when my girls are red and irritated i put a little lanolin on and that seems to usually help overnight.

hth

·
Registered
768 Posts
recycled toilet paper? I used recycled toilet paper and every other month my labia would be irritated. It drove me insane until I heard that recycled toilet paper is often made of newspaper and the soy bsed ink residue can be very irritating for many women. It was back to the tree killing toilet paper for me and not a problem since.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I do know that her DD is a gymnast and is in a leotard a lot. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'll pass these along to her. Hopefully something here will be the magical key to discovering whatever it is that's causing it.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
When little girls have yeast infections, they are not like adult yeast infections. The skin may be red inside the labia, or overly white. It can crack if pulled on just a tiny bit and that causes a lot of pain, esp. in the bath or shower. There is not usually any discharge with juvenile yeast infections. I would suggest that someone look at her again for signs of skin cracking in the creases of the labia. I had this as a girl and it's very painful but not all the time. Only when it gets wet.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it turns out to be a yeast infection, she might try giving her a 1/4 cup of aloe vera juice in lemonade (the lemonade disguised the flavor). I'm assuming aloe vera is fine for her age, but I took this as a young adult while I was having troubles and it cleared it up. My mom had the same problem and passed this info along.

good luck!

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
My dd used to complain of the same and we found out it was from not rinsing well enough in the bath tub and some soap from the bath water was staying and irritating her. Now we make sure she rinses well and no more problem

·
Registered
440 Posts
My dd has had that problem in the past when she has had apple juice. Even the tiniest amount with very careful toileting still sends her shrieking.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
This used to happen to my little sister when we were kids. It turned out to be yeast. She was very athletic and played on a bunch of sports teams. She says she still gets a yeast infection if she ever wears a wet bathing suit for too long. Since you mentioned the gymnast thing, I would consider getting her checked for yeast, and in the meantime giving her a ton of acidophilus and limiting sweets.

HTH!

Lex

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.