Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seemed like the best place to put this question...

What are you thoughts on dolly play baby bottles that sometimes come with doll babies?

My sister bought my little girl a baby doll that came w/ a bottle. I'm conflicted about including the bottle w her toys. 1st, she doesn't know what one is. And 2nd, I'm not sure I want to instill in her the idea that baby bottles are okay under normal circumstances.

What she learns today will affect her future thoughts and the future of her children. Am I being too far from 'normal' by just not having toy baby bottles in her toy collection?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I wouldn't give a toy bottle to my daughter. Breastfeeding is the bilogical norm of Human babies and that is what I shall teach her (through example first of course). When my DD is older and expresses an interest in bottles and formula, then I will explain to her the bottle-feeding culture in our society and surrounding issues.

Electra375 I can see your DD is a year old. As she grows up and sees you breastfeeding she will most likely, on her own, imitate that with her dolls. I don't think there is a need to introduce the idea of bottle-feeding just yet.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
I ditch them, NOT because I think bottles are evil, but because the image of bottle = baby is one that is prevalent in our society. It's everywhere. In our home, if no where else, baby = breastfeeding. I also don't buy children's books with bottle images. But I'm weird that way.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Dolls should come with kid sized slings, not bottles. I chuck them... the one that makes me the maddest It's a small scale fisherprice toy family- the baby actually has the bottle molded into it's hand... I guess it's a safer option that having a little part like that kicking around- but- No thanks.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I got rid of the bottles too. And I had a doll with the bottle molded to the hand and I cut the top off so it looks like the doll is holding a cup! I made sure to get a doll sling and I even found a small boppy that had the same pattern as my big boppy. My kids still played with bottles at others' houses and I occasionally pumped myself, but I hope my daughters will grow up knowing that breastfeeding is the NORM!

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a bottle for a doll, but I wouldn't toss one out, either. DD never had a bottle, but we're planning on offering an occasional bottle of EBM to the next one (due any day!), so we will have bottles around.

DD received a doll with accessories - including a bottle - from my grandmother, when she was about 18 months old. My grandmother opened the box right away, and DD dove right in, checking out the goods. I wouldn't have had a chance to take it away.
What really suprised me was that she knew right away, without being shown, what the bottle was for. She's never taken a bottle, and never been around babies who have had bottles. We don't have any books where bottles are used, and we don't watch TV (so no bottle influence there). Yet she immediatly put the bottle in the dolls mouth to feed it. It was pretty weird.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
I don't buy dolls that come with bottles or pacifiers, and I throw them (the bottle/paci, not the doll) out if he gets one. Julian nurses his babies. I also refuse to buy/borrow books that have bottles, pacifiers, or cribs in them. Not okay, IMO. I guess that makes me far from normal, but oh well. I want him to grow up knowing that there is a right way to care for a baby.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I tried very hard to fight the doll bottle fight, but lost.

Same as annettemarie, I got rid of the bottles at first not because I think bottles are bad themselves, but because I don't like the assumption that every baby has a bottle. Honestly, many people really have no idea that there are babies that never drink from a bottle, ever.

But eventually someone gave DD a doll that came with a bottle and I didn't get a chance to remove the bottle from the package. And she LOVED giving that bottle to the baby. It killed me. I told her all the time that she never used a bottle and that lots of babies don't, but she still loved doll bottles. And at age 6, she still likes them, and pacifiers, too, even though she never used one herself.

I gave up. It's not a big deal, really. I don't think that when she has her own babies (if she does), this is what will influence her feeding choices.

I liken it to parents who don't allow toy weapons, and then their sons build bite their sandwiches into gun shapes and "shoot" their sisters with them! There's only so much you can control! :LOL

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
My dd self-weaned @ 28m, never had a paci or a bottle, but she somehow knew what bottles were for and says that bottles have "milkie" (her word for nursing) in them, and they're for babies--?!??
I don't actively try to conceal the baby=bottle thing in our society (well not anymore), but I do play up nursing whenever I can to both my kids. I remember feeling awed that a friend's dd "breastfed" her dolls, and I thought Lili would be the same, but not really. OTOH she's not much into dolls either--having a big brother influences a girl that way I guess! (she plays with star wars toys and blocks a lot :LOL)
Amazon has some great board books that play up nursing, family bed, etc...you might invest in some of those; also, www.naturalchild.org sells a mama-baby cloth doll set that comes with a kid-sling and even has a little strategically placed velcro for "latch-on"! So perhaps you can play up the ideal while playing down the not-so-ideal...?? Good luck!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As it was noted my dd has just turned 1 and she absolutely is enamoured by doll babies. For being 1, she has too many I will admit. I bought her 3 already and my sister bought her 1. I loved doll babies as a child and I still can't resist them. I pick one up to look at and it is like the dolls eyes say 'take me home and let me be loved'
I just try not to walk down that isle very often... LOL

I am glad to know that I'm not alone in feeling baby toy bottles are not a totally good idea. I think while I can, I will ditch them. As some of you have shared eventually one might show up that you can't ditch before it's seen. I will just have to play that one by ear when it happens.

I've been pretending to feed her and her baby doll at snack time if she has one with her. She looks at me like I'm
... I've seen doll babies with sippy cups, I'll just have to scout out 1 or 2 to have around instead.

Thanks, I am so super glad I'm not nuts...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I would remove the bottle. She'll see enough of them anyway. My dd (almost 2) will bf her dolls most of the time, but if she sees a bottle, she'll give it to the doll
: So most of the time, I try to keep them away, but it's hard. Just this morning, at daycare, her caregiver (new one) gave her a doll, and to convince dd to go to her, she offered her a bottle, I said:" she doesn't need one, she's able to feed them herself, she can breastfeed wherever, whenever she wants".

I hate the fact that whenever you see a baby "kit", there's a bottle in it.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
I tossed them.

There was a few times they got them I would let them play with them and then they would forget about them. But know my girls are 7 and 4 and they have them, or pretend to. But they know that breast milk is best and the pretend to express milk, or say that the mom did. LOL

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My dd nursed until she was 3, and now at 4, she still managed to get it from our culture that bottles are the way babies eat. I'm currently pregnant now, and have had to remind her otherwise, when she talks with this assumption about giving our baby bottles.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My mum prefered us not to have bottles for our dolls but some slipped through anyway. I was more into stuffed animals than dolls and I remember explaining to her that the bear had to have a bottle because I didn't make bear milk!

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as I've been trying to find a doll for DD and I'd prefer her not to think all babys have to have bottles. I could just ditch the bottle before giving her the doll as she's not old enough to notice yet but I really hate the way the dolls mouths are shaped for the bottle to fit it, I just think it looks freeky. My other pet hate is bottles with juice in. I could explain expressing milk but juice?

For anyone in the UK looking for a doll I found that mothercare have a baby doll which doesn't come with a bottle or dummy but can suck it's thumb, fingers or toes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My babies had bottles (EBM) because I work f/t, so I've never had issue with toy bottles.

Last night I had a chuckle, though. Claudia (19mo) nurses all of her babies, her hairbrush and even a Darth Vadar doll we have. :LOL. She hasn't had a bottle since she was around 14mo and seems to have forgotten what one is. So, last night she was playing with a dolly and found a toy bottle. She nursed the baby and grabbed the bottle, tore the top off of it and tried to get her to drink out of the "cup" (bottom part of bottle).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I also make a point of not buying anything that has a bottle on it. We've never been given any dolls with bottles, but they are at daycare. Granted, kids at daycare get ebm in bottles, so its not so simple. But DD is fascinated especially with paci's.

I too hate that bottle = baby in our culture. I had a nursing nightgown that had pics of bottles on it for pete's sake! But ultimately, I think that my own example is waay more powerful than that of toys or even the culture in general. DD is growing up being bf (she's 3), will probably see me bf a sibling one day, and we are often surrounded by friends being bf. I'm actively involved in all kinds of bf activities incluing LLL, and all kinds of bf literature and pics are lying around the house. I think she'll get the message!

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Ya know for the longest time I thought this was no big deal - just something to get people worked up about something. But I wouldnt give my kid a toy bottle now either. Its just that bottlefeeding is wrongly seen as normal and I dont want my daughter to think that. She will be taught (and is learning by being BF herself) that babies are breastfed, and bottles are the exception.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.