Mothering Forum banner

Little lies

645 Views 14 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Drummer's Wife
Would you ever lie and say you'd had a vaginal birth and never had a c-section? Would they really ever know?
Just curious....
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A friend of mine can't find a CP in her state to take on a VBA2C so she's going to a hospy and telling them she's had 1 c-sec. No one will be looking at her scar or seeing an ultrasound so she won't be found out. It's ludicrous that she has to do that to get anything approaching appropriate care.
The first OB that I saw never cared to get my medical records. She just wanted me to schedule another c/s & be done with it. It was only when I found my midwife & told her I wanted a VBAC, that she requested my records in order to see all the circumstances of my c/s, type of incision etc. I don't think they necessarily see your records. Expecially since they need your permission to get the records & the info on your previous OB or hospital delivered. I think it is sad that it has to come to lies, but a good idea if there is no other way.
I've often wondered that too. The situation has gotten really bad here too, very difficult to do any hospital VBACs.

I haven't had one so I don't know what the scar looks like. Could a dr/mw tell you've had one if you simply never mentioned it?

Horrible that you'd have to lie, but if the situation demanded it.....
I totally think any OB or midwife would know if you've had a prior section regardless of whether or not they have your medical records. They most likely wouldn't be able to tell if it was just one, or 3 for that matter though. If it were something you just sort of forgot to mention somehow, I could see doing that as far as saying you've only had one section, or letting them assume that you've birthed vaginally once upon a time.

Luckily I was allowed to try for a vba2c here with my last baby, ended up another section but to me a vbac is a vbac whether you've ever given birth vag or not, as well as if you've had 1 or 5 c-sections. I know there are more risks as far as possible uterine rupture but I think their guidelines have more to do with politics and liability then necessarily safety concerns.

One thing I wouldn't think twice lying about is due dates. If I knew they would demand a scheduled section say at 41 weeks, I'd definitely push my conception date ahead just to be allowed extra time to go into labor on my own.
See less See more
I think that it's be pretty obvious the first time you had your fundus cheked - they'd see a scar. Now, if you'vehad 3 c/s and lie that you've only had 1, that's different. But I think it would be hard to hide the scar.
Interesting thought!

For me, yes, you can see my scar a mile away.
so they would know I had one C..

Never considered saying I only had one C, though..
Although, for me, there is one hospital locally that I can deliver at, so they would know, I think
See less See more
How sad is it that we have to lie (even consider lying) to be treated "normally" during birth...

to all the mamas here that are faced with having to fudge your records in order to be allowed to give birth the way we were designed to.
See less See more
I'm not a very good liar, but desperate times require desperate measures. I couldn't judge someone who did lie about having previous sections. In fact, if I had done that this time, I wouldn't have to deal with some of what I've been dealing with.

Very sad state of affairs when people have to lie about such important stuff to be allowed the birth they want. Not that two wrongs make a right, but isn't lying what a lot of doctors are doing to thousands of women each year?

"You'd better schedule a c-section or you and your baby are going to DIE!!!!"

Sigh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
Not that two wrongs make a right, but isn't lying what a lot of doctors are doing to thousands of women each year?

"You'd better schedule a c-section or you and your baby are going to DIE!!!!"

Sigh.
I prefer the "You know big babies are just too dangerous to birth vaginally. C/sect are so much easier. 1-2-3 and you're done." lie told to me by an sOB when he saw that I "couldn't" birth my 2nd, 9lb 11oz and was PG with #3... I had to show him up and give birth to a bigger (10lb 3oz) baby with a nuchal arm (added for extra flair!).

The only thing we cannot do w/ 100% assuredness is something we do not even attempt to do.
See less See more
if she has never birthed vginally, says she has 2 kids but only 1 section and the kids are nit twins they will know. you cervix changes shapes w/vag births.

nak...sorry for typos
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desdamona
I prefer the "You know big babies are just too dangerous to birth vaginally. C/sect are so much easier. 1-2-3 and you're done." lie told to me by an sOB when he saw that I "couldn't" birth my 2nd, 9lb 11oz and was PG with #3... I had to show him up and give birth to a bigger (10lb 3oz) baby with a nuchal arm (added for extra flair!).

The only thing we cannot do w/ 100% assuredness is something we do not even attempt to do.

See less See more
I was thinking of lying, I have had one c-section and my scar is in my pubic hair and hard to see. I did get fully dilated and pushed so I think my cervix would feel like that of a woman who had vaginally delivered a child. I can get the tip of my finger in my cervical os. I know it is sad to have to lie, but hospital staff are a;ways so worried about rupture which can happen to someone without a c-section too. I just feel like I'd be there with "ticking -time bomb" written on my forehead. If they thought I'd birthed vaginally before they'd never know. I was thinking about Ultrasound - could they see a scar then. I guerss I'd have to be cognizant of where the placenta is situated. I hear if it implants over the scar tissue then there cab be issues after birth......no sure though....
yeah an ultrasound tech will definitely see your scar, and i think it's important to know where your placenta is since you are wanting a vbac. I totally know what you mean about being a "ticking-time bomb" they will watch over you closer, looking for any chance to push a section again. I would labor as long as possible at home (and maybe homebirth if at all possible) and then show up ready to push.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.