Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing my post because I think we've decided against our previous options--even probably against U City (I'd also asked about Florissant)-- ... this is giving me insomnia! Anyway. University City is maybe still on the table. I've only ever been to the Loop maybe twice and a long time ago, so I don't know much about the area. Is it safe? Are there parts that are not safe? Would you feel comfortable walking in residential areas by yourself with your kids, especially in the evening? Are there nice, safe parks? Schools are a non-issue.<br><br>
Tell me what you think about it... would you move there if it were close to where you needed to be, or would you rather live farther away than live in U City?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I don't live there, but have visited fairly often, spent the night there at people's homes....<br><br>
I'd say that there are definitely parts of UCity that are safe and family friendly. Some areas feel very 'suburban', even. But to me it seems to have a good variety of neighborhoods, some of which seem to be what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I love U city....if you get too far north it can get a little rough, but the rest is wonderful. The high school isnt the best, there is usually a high percentage of kids going to private school for highschool, but it is not bad either.

·
Registered
137 Posts
U City is fabulous! We lived there for years. It is diverse, quirky, close to everything (the Loop and Clayton - forest park, easy to the Parkway, etc), has great parks (Flynn!) and library, and has its own pool and rec center.<br><br>
As an over-general rule, I'd say safety is 100% not an issue south of Delmar -- while north of Delmar, you have to be more knowledgeable about what's what. There's a great neighborhood though north of Delmar, behind Winslow's (a treasure itself) - with streets w university names. Again, you're better off closer to Delmar, but I have lots of friends w kids who live there and it is a super, family-friendly neighborhood.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I love U City. There are great safe areas and not so safe areas. I am not totally up on them as I no longer live anywhere near there. I used to live off of Delmar though, close to 170 and it was a good area then (10 years ago...).

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I like to visit U City, but wouldn't want to live there. Some areas are a bit sketchy and others are overpriced. But we LOVE visiting the Loop in the summer and spring - sitting outside at the restaurants and catching shows at The Pageant.<br><br>
We live in Wildwood and have since the end of September. It's a long haul from U City, but we love it out here. It's quiet, AAA rated schools, tons of retail around and it continues to grow!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I lived on Kingsbury before kids (north of the WashU campus and between Bend Bend and Skinker). That was a nice neighborhood. As others have mentioned, north of Delmar is sketchy. I think anywhere that is west of Big Bend and south of Delmar is fine (though that may mostly be Clayton!). I think those houses are in the $300,000-400,000 range though.

·
Premium Member
11,209 Posts
I like U City. The area around Midland just north of Delmar is really nice.<br><br>
I live in Dogtown, which I also love... very friendly and family-oriented, nice parks, good freeway access (finally!), walking distance to Forest Park, and some cute local shops and cafes. Oh, and prices are really reasonable....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts