Mothering Forum banner

Llamas 'offer path to new drugs'

285 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Tummy 
#1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4584409.stm

It's the unrelated species thing that gets me worried. Especially when crossing the blood brain barier is a goal.

{Ablynx is investigating other nanobodies which could be used in the treatment of neurological disease.

The have carried out laboratory experiments which showed one nanobody binds to the protein which causes deposits, or plaques, to form in the brains of Alzheimer's patients.

"We hope we will show that it is possible to disrupt plaque development, or formation."

Clive Ballard, of the UK's Alzheimer's Society, said: "There has been a lot of interest in antibody approaches, and this new development might be something that will provide further opportunities to look at novel antibody therapies."

But he added: "The researchers don't look at the potential immune response. That would be the concern." }

Discussion starter · #4 ·
I had to find an excuse to post the Llama song. Fancy that I would find an actual news story pertaining to llamas. I recently visited a llama farm. They are really cool and kinda goofy at the same time. I think it's the head shape and long neck. Darn it! That's me!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.