Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, a friend just told me that she read that NOCIRC had not been allowed to have a booth at a recently LLL conference somewhere in the northern midwest (I want to say Michigan?). Does anyone know anything about this? It bothers me.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
My guess would be that it would be seen as mixing causes which LLL is very careful about. They are a breastfeeding organization and they don't take official stances of other areas of parenting. They definiately do not have an official stance on circumcision.

Not sayin I agree, just sayin.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
LLL does not take a stand on circ
Lemme see if I can find the link... they don't want to "mix causes"....

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...tNov00p94.html

Quote:
In the 1981 edition of THE WOMANLY ART OF BREASTFEEDING under a section called "Elective Surgery for You or Your Baby," there was mention of circumcision as well as tubal ligation. However, it was omitted in all subsequent editions because these issues were considered mixing causes. We consider circumcision to be outside the realm of our expertise in La Leche League. Other organizations can do a better job of educating parents about circumcision than LLL. (See reference list below.) Because it is not, in and of itself, a breastfeeding issue, LLLI does not take any position on it, nor does the Board of Directors plan to issue any sort of policy statement about it. We see a distinction between making published statements in LLLI publications distributed worldwide and responding to mothers' concerns in the context of informal discussions at Series Meetings.
love and peace.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get the mixing causes issue (I was a leader for four years), but I don't see having a booth at a conference as mixing causes. They have booths from NFL, homebirth midwives, doulas, etc. all of which could be seen as "mixing causes." KWIM? LLL doesn't have a stand on birth control, birthing methods (outside of being informed), etc. It seems weird to me that NOCIRC wouldn't be allowed a booth. I'm having a brain fart right at the moment, but I know there were other booths at our last conference that might have seemed questionable if that was indeed the reason that NOCIRC was not allowed at the conference. So, I'm just a bit disturbed by the whole thing, and I'd like to know more about the story.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I agree they should end up having the nocirc booth out there it doesn't mean that 'all circumcision causes breastfeeding trouble ' but wouldn't some mom like to know that there is a possiblity of that happening if she does that.

Also, I'm wondering on latching questions because when my son was nursing he never ever hurt me except when he pinched me which was a 'startle and still with teeth he's very gentle.

I hear so many parents say oh I am so sore it hurts so much and I'm wondering what they are talking about.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I disagree with the decision not to allow a booth, but I see what is meant by not wanting to mix issues. If a babys parents circumcise him and are then driven away from LLL becaues of the nocirc stance I see it as the baby missing out on the benefits of being intact AND the benefits of breastfeeding.

But I can go to a convention and see lots of booths and form my own opinion on whether its something I want to do with my parenting or not. I have a brain!

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
We have a local AP group, once upon a time it was an LLL board but when the site admin stopped being a LLL leader, we moved it to AP not LLL. Anyway, we had a mainstream (non BFing member/troll) join and pretty soon a circ debate went on. Eventually another LLL leader spoke up

Quote:
For the purpose of clarity only, it is important that everyone reading understand that LLL has no position on circumcision or a host of other topics of interest to most families. We are a single issue organization and that is to provide information and support to mothers who want to breastfeed their children. While there are several issues that affect mothering through breastfeeding, LLL's goal is to provide the best evidence-based research available and allow each mother to choose what is best for her family.

This discussion would not be allowed in an LLL meeting and I hope does not sway anyone's regard for the help that we hope all mothers would receive from LLL. I would encourage each one to visit this link on LLLI's website that shows LLL's ten philosophy statements: http://www.lalecheleague.org/philosophy.html These are the foundation of all that LLL does. Please remember that only an LLL leader speaks for LLL and as other mothers share their experiences we encourage you to consider what is best for you and only do those things"
I guess LLL is all about BFing, that is their goal, to help women BF, they don't care about the rest. I can understand though, if you were anti circ and LLL was pro circ, would you still join, even if you got great BFing advice? I think they just want to stay neutral.

PS, I'm glad the site went to AP only :p

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
i dont understand not allowing a booth though. they allow other booths that are not just BF'ing. i really would like to know more facts.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Hmm...But the two issues do definetely overlap.

Breastfeeding a recently circumcised baby often proves far more difficult than it would with an intact one, both through the pychological difficulties caused by the stress and pain and the practical one of holding the child close to you while the end of his penis is agonising to the touch.

Could they not at least suggest anaesthetic to make the former problem a little less severe or make mention of the potential problems that a circumcision might cause?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revamp
Could they not at least suggest anaesthetic to make the former problem a little less severe or make mention of the potential problems that a circumcision might cause?
Not without pissing a lot of people off.

Seriously, I do get why LLL doesn't get involved in the circ debate. LLL already has a tough rep as a "hardcore" organization to get past in a lot of communities.

My local chapter's Leader will bend over backwards to help a mom, and will do it without even a tinge of judgment regarding her parenting decisions of any kind, but women tell each other horror stories about "the Boob Nazis" that scare off people from even asking for the help they truly need.

So the organization makes a lot of effort to keep all possible "extraneous" issues out of its discussions. Circ is a hugely, hugely divisive subject in most places in the US, as I'm coming to learn the hard way.

Heck, just now is breastfeeding NOT also a hugely divisive subject... LLL has done a lot to help normalize breastfeeding by staying single-minded-- and by catering to a generally well-educated group of moms who then go into the community and influence other mothers to at least see breastfeeding as a healthy and positive choice.

Still, I don't at all understand why the booth was rejected, if homebirthing, doula services, etc, were allowed a booth space.

Surely homebirth is even less relevant than circumcision!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes
Not without pissing a lot of people off.

Hmm...Well maybe they could write up an afternote saying "This might have annoyed you or caused you distress but probably not as much as cutting off part of a baby's penis does to that infant. Which is sort of our point!"

That would be a compromise, right?

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
At our local conference last year, there was no NoCirc booth (I don't know if it was disallowed or there just wasn't one) but two tables had TONS of anti circ info on them. One of the doulas and the birth network, I think. They were stuck together and pretty visible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts