Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p> </p>
<p>After picking up my 3.5 yo DD from Daycare/ Preschool, I buckled her into her carseat and tightened the straps.  She was angry because she didn't want to go home, etc.  I turned back to check on her as when we came to a stop at a light down the road and she had completely loosened the straps.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>DH and I are big into natural and logical consequences.  We are stumped, obviously the natural consequence on unbuckling or loosening her belts is injury or death - not really practical.  DH and I are struggling to figure out the logical consequence that will work.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She was able to say (after the fact) that she knew better.  And she did it anyway.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are open to any thoughts or suggestions.</p>

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
<p>DS is now in a high back booster.  To truly be safe, (just as for an adult with their seatbelt), the child needs to sit properly - not lean about, flop way over sideways, etc.  If he starts goofing around, I pull over as soon as I can.  I just calmly tell him we cannot drive safely until he stays seated safely, and I wait.  Pretty logical consequence.    I have not had to do it often - he doesn't enjoy waiting by the side of the road much more than I do!</p>

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>To clarify DD is still in a 5 point harness and I was able to tighten it back up.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also live in an area where there aren't always safe places to pull over - and once I retighten her straps she is safe.  So there is no ability to let her correct her own behavior.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And DD wouldn't care if we were stopped on the side of the road for an hour - unless she got hungry.  We've tried a similar technique (we can't drive until you are in your seat & buckled) for times when she really fight getting into the seat - and then I have been stuck waiting in parking lots for 20 or more min. attempting to get her in her seat.  those sort of delays are not always practical.</p>

·
Registered
681 Posts
<p>Maybe you could explain to her that the seat belt is for her protection.  And that it makes you worried/sad/(whatever emotion she can understand) when she unbuckles because you're worried about her safety and wouldn't want anything to happen to her. </p>

·
Registered
2 Posts
<p>When my DS was that age I was able to explain that the policeman would pull us over and I would get a ticket if he wasn't buckled in tight. That was enough of a deterrant for him. However, for other misbehavior in the car I always threatened to pull the car over and make him sit on the sidewalk for a time out. I never had to actually do it, the threat was enough, but I would have followed through if necessary. Good luck!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts