Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anyone caught the Fox25 news just now...but we need to write in!

They were discussing the Vermont/Delta incident. Kim, one of the anchors, was saying how she use to support the woman, until she found out that she was nursing a (gasp) 22 month old. They went on to talk about how a child should be on cow's milk by 6 months to a year, etc. One of the other anchors, Q, was wondering what the pediatritians said. She was the only one who admitted not knowing the facts, and she even said "well, breast milk IS best".

Anyways, I don't know if anyone can find a link to the segment (maybe on that site itube or something) but I don't know how.

Here's the link to contact the news station. I'm hoping that some of you will email them and include the AAP and WHO guidelines. I will be sending my email in a minute.
http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pag...Us?pageId=5.11

·
Registered
961 Posts
I hope I wasn't too strong!

I am VERY disappointed that your staff is so mis-informed about human milk and a human's milk needs.
Babies should be given human milk for at least 2 years (minimum), since there don't produce their own immunity. Exclusive breastfeeding should occur for at least six months.
A child's sucking needs continue for several years and the reasons why they need bottles/pacifiers/sippy cups constantly is that their sucking needs are not being met by their mother. That is also why so many American babies are sick with upper respiratory illness, ear infections, colic, etc. Babies aren't meant to be sick, but they are routinely when they do not get their mother's milk.

Formula is milk meant for a CALF with vitamins and other minerals added or made from a soybean as a poor substitute for human milk.

How is that preferable from alive antibody-laden human milk made perfectly by mommy?

If your staff cannot say something nice about human milk/lactation, please refrain from uneducated, misinformed remarks?

God knows the rest of us lactating supporters can NEVER say anything bad about the bottle formula feeders--even though we are trying to help them and not make money off their lifestyle choices. Yes, a small percentage of women cannot lactate successfully, but it is even a smaller percentage than cannot have babies. I am not focusing on them. I am focusing on the majority of moms who are healthy with healthy babies and no anatomical problems. Just like getting a Master's degree, if something is important enough, people will do it. Please stop discouraging lactation from occurring.
Babies should have a right to eat like the rest of us.

Thanks,
PJJ, who wishes everyone were forced to eat under a blanket and kicked off a plane and then understand what this is all about.
And for good measure, please drink some of that formula and see how soon you will experience colic symptoms, if you don't throw it up first.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am writing in regards to your anchors' ignorant and irresponsible comments regarding the Vermont/Delta breastfeeding issue.

I am VERY disappointed that your staff is so misinformed about human milk and a human's milk needs.

I would hope that your news staff would stick to the facts and leave their opinions to themselves.

And here are the facts:

(A)

In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breast milk provides:
29% of energy requirements
43% of protein requirements
36% of calcium requirements
75% of vitamin A requirements
76% of folate requirements
94% of vitamin B12 requirements
60% of vitamin C requirements
-- Dewey 2001

The American Academy of Family Physicians notes that children weaned before two years of age are at increased risk of illness (AAFP 2001).

Nursing toddlers between the ages of 16 and 30 months have been found to have fewer illnesses and illnesses of shorter duration than their non-nursing peers (Gulick 1986).

(B)

In fact, some of the immune factors in breast milk increase in concentration during the second year and also during the weaning process. (Goldman 1983, Goldman & Goldblum 1983, Institute of Medicine 1991).

According to the Iowa Extension Service, every teaspoon of breast milk has 3,000,000 germ killing cells in it; so if a baby gets even one tsp. a day, it is very valuable!

.. It has been shown in man and in several animal models that immunization via the gut, and also the lungs, stimulates a special population of antibody-producing B lymphocytes. They appear in large numbers in special aggregations in the gut - the Peyer's patches. These lymphocytes leave the gut after having met bacteria and viruses there and move or "home" to exocrine glands such as the mammary, lachrymal and salivary glands, as well as glands in the mucosal membranes of the bronchi and the gut. As a consequence, human milk contains sIgA antibodies against all those bacteria and viruses which have been in the mother's gut. This gives the milk capacity to protect against those microorganisms to which the infant is exposed, because they are usually the same as those its mother has been in contact with.

Source: L A Hanson et al. Breastfeeding protects against infections and allergy. Breastfeeding Review; Nov l988, pp l9 - 22.

Some of the immune factors in breast milk have been shown to increase in concentration as the baby gets older and nurses less, so older babies still receive lots of immune factors. So as a baby starts to nurse less (weaning) and milk supply decreases the concentration of immunities increases. This isn't age-dependent, but depends on the amount of milk that baby is removing from the breast.

[Source: Goldman AS et al. "Immunologic components in human milk during weaning." Acta Paediatr Scand. 1983 Jan;72(1):133-4.]

(C.)

Pediatricians and parents should be aware that exclusive breastfeeding is sufficient to support optimal growth and development for approximately the first 6 months of life and provides continuing protection against diarrhea and respiratory tract infection.30,34,128,178-184

Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.185

There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychological or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer.197

Infants weaned before 12 months of age should not receive cow's milk but should receive iron-fortified infant formula.198

ROLE OF PEDIATRICIANS AND OTHER HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS IN PROTECTING, PROMOTING, AND SUPPORTING BREASTFEEDING

Other health care professionals have made great efforts in recent years to support and improve breastfeeding success by following the principles and guidance provided by the AAP,2 the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists,127 the American Academy of Family Physicians,128 and many other organizations.5,6,8,130,133,142,162

The following guidelines summarize these concepts for providing an optimal breastfeeding environment.

General

Promote, support, and protect breastfeeding enthusiastically. In consideration of the extensively published evidence for improved health and developmental outcomes in breastfed infants and their mothers, a strong position on behalf of breastfeeding is warranted.

Promote breastfeeding as a cultural norm and encourage family and societal support for breastfeeding.

Recognize the effect of cultural diversity on breastfeeding attitudes and practices and encourage variations, if appropriate, that effectively promote and support breastfeeding in different cultures.

Education

Become knowledgeable and skilled in the physiology and the current clinical management of breastfeeding.
Encourage development of formal training in breastfeeding and lactation in medical schools, in residency and fellowship training programs, and for practicing pediatricians.
Use every opportunity to provide age-appropriate breastfeeding education to children and adults in the medical setting and in outreach programs for student and parent groups.

Society

Encourage the media to portray breastfeeding as positive and normative.

Encourage employers to provide appropriate facilities and adequate time in the workplace for breastfeeding and/or milk expression.

Encourage child care providers to support breastfeeding and the use of expressed human milk provided by the parent.

Support the efforts of parents and the courts to ensure continuation of breastfeeding in separation and custody proceedings.

Provide counsel to adoptive mothers who decide to breastfeed through induced lactation, a process requiring professional support and encouragement.

Encourage development and approval of governmental policies and legislation that are supportive of a mother's choice to breastfeed

Conclusions:

Although economic, cultural, and political pressures often confound decisions about infant feeding, the AAP firmly adheres to the position that breastfeeding ensures the best possible health as well as the best developmental and psychosocial outcomes for the infant. Enthusiastic support and involvement of pediatricians in the promotion and practice of breastfeeding is essential to the achievement of optimal infant and child health, growth, and development.

(A.) (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html)
Dewey KG. Nutrition, Growth, and Complementary Feeding of the Breastfed Infant. Pediatric Clinics of North American. February 2001;48(1).
Gulick EE. The effects of breastfeeding on toddler health. Pediatr Nurs. 1986 Jan-Feb;12(1):51-4.
Goldman AS, Goldblum RM, Garza C. Immunologic components in human milk during the second year of lactation. Acta Paediatr Scand. 1983 May;72(3):461-2.
(B.) (http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...nefactors.html)
L A Hanson et al. Breastfeeding protects against infections and allergy. Breastfeeding Review; Nov l988 , pp l9 - 22.
Goldman AS et al. "Immunologic components in human milk during weaning." Acta Paediatr Scand. 1983 Jan;72(1):133-4.

(C.) (http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496)
AAP Policy; PEDIATRICS Vol. 115 No. 2 February 2005, pp. 496-506 (doi:10.1542/peds.2004-2491)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamohumm6 View Post
I'll email them, but I'm not surprised given it's Fox.
I was thinking the same thing. I saw the report on NECN and they had two interesting comments 1) They thought the term Lactivist was creative and apppropriate 2) They pointed out that one mom had a sign for her child that read "Baby Mammal", and they indicated that that really said it all. There was no whining about the age of the child or any other negative comment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I emailed them too. Geez, I sure wouldn't want to be that dumb anchor-lady tonight.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dynamohumm6 View Post
I'll email them, but I'm not surprised given it's Fox.
:
Easily the worst news source anywhere.
I disagree, Fox isn't the only news source that is capable of screwing up the facts. They all do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts