Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we use this thread to help other single mamas find emotional (or otherwise) support in their areas?

I'm looking for other single mamas (all of my friends are married) in my city and am having a hard time finding groups, etc. for single parents that aren't for dating.

If you know of any in Philadelphia, or your own town, please tell! I'm sure there are lots of us looking.

·
Registered
276 Posts
sorry mama. we are in seattle, but i know how you feel. i dont have any single mama friends in my town either. have you checked to see if there is a yahoo group for single mamas in your area?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i seem to be able to find plenty of online communities,

i was hoping you/we could share any ways you've found in-person support/friends.

yeah, the momsclub thing is sketchy here too. there are alot of mommy/baby groups but not specifically for single mamas.

i guess it's hard to get a group of single moms to commit to a time to get together all at once!

but please, if you hear/know of anything - post it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I joined a single parents group at meetup.com, and I've also met a lot of single parents in a local singles dining group. What I like about the dining group is that it's not all about meeting people to date; it's just a low-key night out with a bunch of other single folks, many of whom also happen to be parents.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not all Yahoo groups are spammy and impersonal, believe it or not. The most amazing community of local mamas (not only single) here in my town has a Yahoo group. And we meet up a lot in person, and help each other out with meals, errands, childcare, etc, when needed.

I think the key is to have a specific environment or goal for the group when you start it up, not just say "here we are, single moms" and hope it becomes great. It's a lot of work to keep a group together and active, esp busy mamas.

We as single mothers have very different interests and concerns, and are twice as busy of course.
Probably a lot of the problem is just that we can't *get away* to meet people, and have no time to be online! Our yahoo group has an offshoot for single mothers on the list, which seemed a great idea at the time, but nobody ever posts on it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts