Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not worried about PP right now, but was wondering if other mothers knew of any ways to tell where the placenta is lying when doing your own prenatal care.

I'm 16 week pregnant now and baby is just moving and kicking up a storm all day long! He's been doing it for about a week now every day. I can't believe how strong he is. At first, all of the kicks were in the lower left side of my uterus, so I assumed he was facing my left side and head up. I feel bumps all over, but they were strongest in that spot. Now he seems to have turned last night and is facing straight forward, head-up still. The interesting thing is that I feel bumps from arms, legs, and head everywhere EXCEPT my right side. There are never any on the right side of my uterus and since the start of my pregnancy, all of my soreness, pangs, and pains have been right in that spot.

Does that mean that is where the placenta is? If so, it would be really helpful because I can tell exactly where it is lying. Anyone have any experience with determining placenta location?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I found the placenta at sixteen weeks with a fetoscope no problem. It's the same rythm as your own heartbeat (listen to your heart first so you will recognize it) only with a swishier, more liquidy sound.

You may have to wait a bit longer to hear the heartbeat, though; ds can hear it just fine, but I haven't been able to yet--as much from lack of time on my part as lack of maturity on bean's.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amberskyfire View Post
I'm not worried about PP right now, but was wondering if other mothers knew of any ways to tell where the placenta is lying when doing your own prenatal care.

I'm 16 week pregnant now and baby is just moving and kicking up a storm all day long! He's been doing it for about a week now every day. I can't believe how strong he is. At first, all of the kicks were in the lower left side of my uterus, so I assumed he was facing my left side and head up. I feel bumps all over, but they were strongest in that spot. Now he seems to have turned last night and is facing straight forward, head-up still. The interesting thing is that I feel bumps from arms, legs, and head everywhere EXCEPT my right side. There are never any on the right side of my uterus and since the start of my pregnancy, all of my soreness, pangs, and pains have been right in that spot.
I figured my placenta was in the upper left side because of the very same reasons you posted. Never really felt the baby kick there exsept in a very dull way compaired to the rest of my tummy.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I figured mine was on the left side for similar reasons, OP, and now that I am 36+weeks, and having much stronger ctx, I can 'see' it distinctly from the baby's body. I can also just look at the placenta area and see it beating along with my heart. Dh listened to it with just his ear pressed against me the other day and thought that was neat. That is neat, isn't it?!

I do pay attention to placental site location because of my previous c/s's. I am happy that I've not had any that could have grown into my uterine scar tissue, especially while planning to UC (last time and this time too).

I have always been able to tell by babe's movements, my body's responses, and like this time, even seeing it being 'shrink-wrapped' during ctx. The skin on the outisde of my belly is really thin though, so I don't know if it would be the same otherwise.

Btw, my skin is never so thin when there's no baby in there
, so don't go thinking I am describing my level of fitness...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.