Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Logan nurse-in was a success! Seven mamas and eight babies and many, many reporters, cameras and microphones (Fox 25, Globe, Herald, oh - I'm going to get these all wrong - I don't have a TV
- but many more. I should have made a list.) Jessica made fabulous stickers and Amanda had the great idea to encourage all moms travelling this holiday to wear them on the journey. One mama with a 11 week old came after reading the story in the Globe this morning! It was so great to see everyone today and meet new mamas from the area. Let's stay in touch.
Nancy (Aileen)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Awesome!!!! I can't believe the media coverage!!! We had the same thing at Bradley in CT... CRAWLING with news stations and reporters from EVERYWHERE!!! Fantastic news about Logan

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milkymommi View Post
Awesome!!!! I can't believe the media coverage!!! We had the same thing at Bradley in CT... CRAWLING with news stations and reporters from EVERYWHERE!!! Fantastic news about Logan

How did the CT nurse-in go? I soooo wanted to go, but I had a prior commitment and a crapping out car.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Great coverage so far...boston.com with NECN coverage has pictures and video! One of the local stations has video on their site too (of you Nancy!), but I can't remember if it's channel 4,5,or 7. I heard it mentioned on WBUR as I left thr airport. Good job ladies, it was great to meet you all!

Danielle & Rosa

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ver...of_solidarity/

I don't know how to link the video and photos though!

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Yes, I wish the Globe had seen all seven of us.

A handful of mothers sounds better than a small group.

Everyone- great job!

Jessica

·
Registered
367 Posts
That was such a blast. Thanks to Jessica for the stickers and the letter to Delta and anyone else who had a hand in organizing and calling the media. Whoohooo!

I have been slowly updating my blog with some of the pictures, articles and video from yesterday. So far, it is just pictures, but my husband thinks that he will be able to save and post the NECN clips.

Also, I was able to tape us on a VHS tape last night on CBS, Fox, NECN and on PBS. At some point soon, I am going to attempt to get that onto the computer, and fiter out all the junk around each clip and then burn it to a DVD. When that happens, I would be happy to send any of the other nurse-in moms a copy.

Phew!!

What's next??? When can we start fighting for legislation again!??

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Yeah Alley! I'd love a dvd/cd- whatever you have!!!

I didn't catch the news, but did hear us on NPR news on my way home from work (with a sleeping Joshua) (This was not the clip on All Thhings Considered, which I listened to after I heard about it, but just a brief mention on the NPR local news).

BTW, I was unable to deliver the letter yesterday. THe guy that had been standing next to us for the last 5 minutes (helping the kiosk customers) ended up being a Delta manager, but when I told him why I was there and that I had a letter to drop off for Delta, he backed away and said that he wasn't allowed to accept anything from passengers/people.

I'm not sure if this is because they are based in Atlanta and the Boston people don't 'do' anything, FAA regs (like maybe the letter could be laced with some lethal substance?) or just a man who heard the word breastfeeding and freaked.

So thats 3 out of 3 Delta employees that seemed to be totally oblivious to the fact that there was a Nurse In scheduled- and only 1 employee that was reasonably helpful (the woman that came over and talked to us, etc.).

I'm busy working, attempting to cook 2 quickbreads, and packing to go today. But I hope to squeeze in a few minutes to send something off cause I think waiting till Monday would be too late.

Yikes.

Oh, as for fighting for legislation... we can tell all our reps what happened and get them working on passing the senate bill before sessions end in January. Wouldn't it be nice to not have to worry about this next year?!

Jessica

·
Registered
308 Posts
I also heard that we were on the 10:00 news on the CW (ch 56), but I missed it. I meant to watch it, but
I actually went to bed at 8:30, I was feeling so
: with this cold I'm fighting. Did anyone catch the 10:00 news??

Alley, I would love a copy of that DVD! There's also a great item on the ch 7 website, which includes a great sound-bite from me and some really nice footage of the babies -- I didn't see this on the TV but maybe I just missed it?
http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/BO34727/
(click the "Watch the video" link above the headline)
Someone on the lactivist email group asked about calling the stations to get a tape/DVD of the clip -- might be worth doing if we want to preserve this footage for posterity. I know I'd love to be able to show it to DD when she's older!

Great meeting you all yesterday!
-Joan

·
Registered
361 Posts
I saw the 10:00 news and the channel 5 coverage. I was disapointed with with the CW because they aired a comment that I made but didn't air the part when I mentioned MA not having a law to protect our rights...the Globe did mention that in an editorial this morning though!

Great job Jessica, you are a multi-tasking dynamo!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
LA Times Article! Featuring Charlie (no pics of Charlie, but nice description!) Oh, wait, there are more photos, but i have to register to see them....

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...ck=1&cset=true

BOSTON - Charlie Yaker's enormous blue eyes rolled back in elation and a blissful, drunken-sailor expression settled on his face. The 6-month-old had just finished breast-feeding Tuesday morning near the Delta Air Lines ticket counter at Logan International Airport, unperturbed by the frenzy of holiday-season travelers.

"We're here to show people how natural and healthy breast-feeding is," said Charlie's mother, 28-year-old Alison Yaker of Braintree, Mass. "And to remind Delta Air Lines of that fact too."

·
Registered
308 Posts
Danielle, did you arrive late? I had to leave early and I noticed that on the channel 5 news they showed a couple of moms I didn't recognize. Maybe one was you? If there were more moms who arrived after I left, then our "official" headcount on the yahoogroup database is wrong!

Someone help me verify our headcount. Here's what I have from the sign-in sheet:

Me + Ruthie
Ali (rupie_zum) + Moira
Jess (jessjgh1) + ?
Nancy (aileen) + ?
Alison (alleybcat) + Charlie
Lissa (not on MDC) + Marisol
Amanda (not on MDC) + twins

That's the 7 moms, 8 babies that we listed on the database. If there were others who arrived later, let me know so I can correct our numbers!!

BTW -- Alley and Charlie and Ruthie and I are seen in the video on this report from a Florida tv station:
http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/l...?storyid=69633

-Joan

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Yes Danielle came later.

I thought we had 8!!!

Joan, when you have a chance can you email all of us, so we can exchange emails- names??

I was so busy chasing Josh and ordering the press release he dropped on the floor I didn't have much time to chat with everyone.

AND I want to see more photos. Goodness- they were there for 1 HOUR taking photos the whole time, where are theY! LOL!

Jessica

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
I couldn't be there. But I'm flying out of Logan in a week, just me and the baby to Europe, so I'll be interested to see if any mention is made since I'll most certainly spend a good portion of the trip with my shirt up!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Great photo in the globe of a little girl nursing her doll next to Lissa nursing Marisol. Nice Job!

I tried to get dp (a pilot who was on reserve in boston yesterday) to head over to delta, but couldn't convince her to go.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Great photo in the globe of a little girl nursing her doll next to Lissa nursing Marisol. Nice Job!
That was Nancy (aileen)'s dd Maeve! And yes, it was a great photo!

-Joan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts