Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
I went to click on my usual news pages this morning and they ALL took forever to load. I thought, "uh oh...something big happened overnight."
I'm so so SO weary of all of this war and fighting. I'm just so tired of it.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I am in a personal tailspin upon waking up and hearing about this. We are traveling to Europe today. We are traveling both ways on the targeted airlines. Today we will not be going through Heathrow, but through Frankfurt (en route to Greece), but in 20 days when we come back we will be going through Heathrow.

The thing is that I am flying phobic. Even a one-hour flight to Arizona on Southwest absolutely sends me into another world, one of total panic. I have to take sedatives whenever I fly but they usually are not enough to make me anywhere near "comfortable" flying.

Now, with this going on, I really don't know how I can put myself and my family on a plane. But I have to.

Please pray for me if you're the praying type, and think uplifting thoughts for me if you're not. Keep me in the light. My plane leaves around 6:30 this evening.

I am very glad to hear that they have disrupted this plot but the very fact that it existed is beyond chilling. I truly hope with all of my being that they have shut it down and that everyone flying remains safe.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Nora's mama, I think in this case, if you have another capable adult traveling with you, it's perfectly reasonable to request some valium or xanax or the like for this flight.

We flew right after 9/11 and I was a wreck. It was so scary to get on that plane.

I will keep you in my prayers.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama ganoush
nora-i havent flown in 5 years, i totally get the panic.

the only other thing i can say right now is-my october surprise is gonna be a doozy.
Huh?

War is not healthy for children and other living things.

·
Registered
792 Posts
nora's mama, i was thinking of you this morning when i read about the activity at heathrow. i know quite a few people who are away from home right now but they aren't going through the uk.

breathe deep and relax on the plane. i think you're nursing and i don't know about drugs whilst nursing, so i stayed away from them. remember that there are a lot of trained professionals working to keep you safe in the air. remember that there have been quite a few plots/attempts that have been foiled over the past few years. they know what to look for now.

i'll pray for you, that you and your family arrive safe and sound in frankfurt in the morning.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade
they've banned all liquids from being carried on the planes, including beverages, lotions, hair gels,e tc. i wonder if that included baby formula as well?
Nope- it doesn't.

Quote:
Huge crowds formed at security barriers at London's Heathrow airport as officials searching for explosives barred nearly every form of liquid outside of baby formula.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
With all respect for the "possibility" of this plot. Anyone else find it interesting they've trotted out the high alert colors again? Just in time for the upcoming elections. I don't think that alert system has moved since Bush got re-elected.

ETA:

Quote:
The Homeland Security Department devised the alert system after the Sept. 11 attacks. The last time the U.S. government raised the terrorist risk here to orange, or high, was in July 2005 after the subway bombings in London. It was lowered to yellow a month later, the elevated risk status that has been the norm since the system was created.
Answered my own question.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nora'sMama
I am in a personal tailspin upon waking up and hearing about this. We are traveling to Europe today. We are traveling both ways on the targeted airlines. Today we will not be going through Heathrow, but through Frankfurt (en route to Greece), but in 20 days when we come back we will be going through Heathrow.

The thing is that I am flying phobic. Even a one-hour flight to Arizona on Southwest absolutely sends me into another world, one of total panic. I have to take sedatives whenever I fly but they usually are not enough to make me anywhere near "comfortable" flying.

Now, with this going on, I really don't know how I can put myself and my family on a plane. But I have to.

Please pray for me if you're the praying type, and think uplifting thoughts for me if you're not. Keep me in the light. My plane leaves around 6:30 this evening.

I am very glad to hear that they have disrupted this plot but the very fact that it existed is beyond chilling. I truly hope with all of my being that they have shut it down and that everyone flying remains safe.
Sending you and your family prayers for a safe passage both to and fro. (I do hope you manage to enjoy your trip, too! It's no fun to have the dread of the return flight overshadowing your family vacation.) Be well, mama.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bright
Apparently baby formula is the only liquid permitted.
What about breast pumps? I hope they are counting them in with medical equipment. I had to pump when we flew when dd's were 3 mo old. (they were doing a mix of nursing and pumped milk and I couldn't get one dd to nurse on the plane)

·
Registered
8,277 Posts
Sounds a heckava lot like a previous multi-plane hijacking plot:

"The next plan would have involved at least five Al-Qaeda operatives, including Yousef, Khan, Shah and two more unknown operatives. Starting on January 21, 1995 and ending on January 22, 1995, they would set the bombs on 11 United States-bound airliners that had stopovers all around East Asia and Southeast Asia. All of the flights had two legs. The bombs would be planted inside life jackets under seats on the first leg, when each bomber would disembark. He would then board one or two more flights and repeat. After all of the bombers planted bombs on all of the flights, each man would then catch flights to Lahore, Pakistan. The men never needed U.S. visas, as they only would have stayed on the planes on their first legs in Asia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oplan_Bojinka

·
Registered
934 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonahsmom
I'm skeptical to say the least. The timing is all a little too convenient. But, I'm a huge cynic at this point.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.