Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok my girl is 6 we moved to this location when she was 5, the previous neighborhood has lots of kids approx.15 now I understand it to be morel Ike 25. This neighborhood has very little. So my problem she is always complaining about having no one to play with, wanting play dates, but there is only so much I can do. I have called and tried to organize dates but it's exhausting since no one reciprocates, I have put her into 2 after school activities, but is still doesn't seem to have changed the situation. The weekends are the worse.<br><br>
Do you have this problem? What works for you? Note she is an only child.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
<p>Most of my kids' playdates are with the kids of *my* friends.  Maybe you could approach it the other way around.  Try to cultivate some "mommy friendships" and see if that helps. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, you might think of trying to organize group activities.  You never know... you might have more luck getting 3-4 kids together for an afternoon of *whatever* (skating, swimming, etc, etc), than one-on-one playdates.  Like... if they know it's some kind of exciting "event" they might bug their parents more to let them go.  ;)  It can be hard to drag people out on the weekend (family time) but this might give it an extra "push".</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oh yeah, one other idea... I'd totally post in the "finding your tribe" forum here to see about hooking up with MDC mamas/kids who are also looking to get together.</p>

·
Registered
41 Posts
<p>Perhaps your daughter's teacher could point you in the direction of a compatible child? At this age, parents can still have a big role in getting a friendship established, but that window eventually closes. The teacher might know of someone in another class, too.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you know a nice middle school child in your neighborhood who wants to earn a little money, that could be great for your daughter and it could possibly be more reliable to schedule. I had a wonderful mother's helper who earned $3-4 hour and had a great time as well. (Just make sure the child is young enough to still want to *play* with DD. Age 11 is usually good and you can let the other parent know that you will be on site; you just want someone to play with your daughter while you get some things done.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If there is a Daisy Scout Troop in your area, that would be a nice way to meet new girls and moms.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Don't give up on looking for weekend play dates. I used to swap Saturday child care with a friend, and the two kids would play with each other for about 3 hours while every other child on the planet was in soccer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, if you schedule play dates it may not be too reciprocal at first. I found play date etiquette to be very lopsided, but if your daughter enjoys her friend it may be three or four in a row at your house to get the ball rolling.</p>

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
<p>It is hard. I have a 5 year girl who desperately wants playdates but it rarely happens, not from lack of trying on my part. We do a lot of activities on the weekends to try and fill up the time. My DH is gone every weekend in the winter so the days stretch on it we don't. The pool and science museum is where we can usually be found.</p>

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
<p>Daisy Scouts!  My dd has an older brother and a younger brother and she started scouts this fall - it has done wonders for her.  My mom is a special ed teacher at her school and occasionally goes into her classroom to work w/ some of the kids and has said she's noticed a huge difference in my dd's confidence, how she plays with the other girls, etc.  We love our Daisy Scout troop!</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts