Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got any? DD is a little over 2.5 yo. We have a loooong car trip coming up next month. We're prepared to go slow, take breaks, etc. We also have an old portable DVD player that we can rig up--I'm loathe to use it though as I'm trying to keep her TV time low & would rather engage her in the sites & sounds of the trip.

Any audio cds, books on tape that you suggest?
Favorite healthy travel snacks?
Timing ideas?
Other hints?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
I read a hint online a while ago that may help. It's geared towards littler kids, but it could be adapted to a toddler as well.

String a clothesline across the car, held up by the windows. Use clothespins to attach amusing toys to it. You could also attach a pouch for crayons or a small book. Change the toys at every stop.

I haven't tried this yet, so I have no personal experience of how well it works. DS still hasn't been able to make it longer than five minutes in the car seat without conking out.

·
Registered
511 Posts
MAGNA DOODLE!!!

I'll try to think of more through the day,....but have to say, this one has been a WONDERFUL help to our DD through the years on car trips. not only can she enjoy drawing and drawing endlessly, but we play games of taking turns making pictures, learning tic tac toe, making the dotted outline of objects and letters so she could trace over them,......and on and on.
it's self contained, too! pen is attached, sometimes a drawer for some magnet pieces, etc.

good luck!

·
Registered
511 Posts
another thought,....
in trying to engage her in the sights and sounds, could you make a list of lots of things she might see? (for 2.5 maybe a 'picture' list?) and when she spots those things she could put a fun sticker in the space next to it, or color in a square or something?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Having done this quite a few times up and down the East coast all I can recomend is Travel at night. A sleeping toddler is a happy todler!!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtain
Having done this quite a few times up and down the East coast all I can recomend is Travel at night. A sleeping toddler is a happy todler!!
This has backfired on us too many times! Know your child. Mine do NOT sleep in the car. If we travel at night that just means that they stay up later!!! And when they do finally drift off, about 4-5 hours after the usual at home bedtime, they do not sleep soundly.

I think patience is the most important thing you can take with you in the car.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We had a long drive recently (about four hours) and I was amazed at my girls. They were great in the car! I was the cranky one LOL.

Bring favorite toys like teddy bears and a bin of craft supplies such as Color Wonder markers and paper and stickers. Magna Doodles, Colorforms, felt boards, magnetic boards all work great. You can even take favorite magnets from home (store in a baggie) and a cookie sheet. You would be amazed how much fun this can be.

I brought a smaller cooler stocked with milk and water plus I had frozen Stonyfield Farms yogurt tubes which they loved. I also brought fresh fruit, crackers and dry cereal and we stopped along the way for dinner and bathroom breaks.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
We travel by car for about 8 hours a few times a year to visit my family, and we always drive at night. DS is great about sleeping in the car, and usually we can do the whole thing in one straight shot (with one gas/potty break for the grown-ups). We're exhausted the next day, but I'll take exhaustion over having to entertain a toddler in the car for 8 hours (I get motion sickness, so having to turn around in the car is a nightmare for me).

But in a couple of months we're going to have to travel about 6 hours by car in the daytime, so I'll definitely be watching this thread for ideas! We've used the Magna Doodle on airplanes with some success. Honestly, though, that's the one situation in which I really wouldn't mind using a portable DVD player. I remember long car trips as a kid being soooooo boring -- I would have loved to get to watch a favorite movie to make time go by faster. As long as their TV time at home is limited, I think a long car ride is just about the perfect time to break out something special like a movie.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, I'll be watching this thread for new ideas.

We just made it through two days of driving 9.5 hours each (one leg up on a Friday, and the way back down the following Monday), and it was absolute misery! I had a couple of new toys (including a magna doodle) for ds1 (20 months), all his favorites snacks and we stopped every two hours to let him run around and for me to feed ds2 (almost 4 mo).

Ds1 whined for 6 hours straight on the way up, while holding on to his new toy and sucking down his Gatorade. He slept for a grand total of 40 minutes. He was happy for the last 1.5 hours. That's when ds2 decided he was DONE with the whole car seat travelling business and complained until we got there. The only time the big boy was happy was when he was outside running around, but that didn't progress our travelling any. Sigh. The return trip was not much better.

And I thought I was prepared. If ds1 were into watching anything on a screen, I would totally vote for the DVD, if it buys you any peace at all! Driving at night was discussed, but ds1 does not sleep well anywhere but his bed, so I wasn't in favor of driving all night (with a cranky whiny boy in the back) and then being exhausted for the two days we would be there, taking care of the babies, only to repeat the same ordeal on the way back.

Dh even suggested benadryl, but that was a big no no in my book. Sorry, not going there. With my luck, it would have only made ds1 hyper anyway. And the baby? No way.

I wish you the best of luck and will be watching for new ideas as we will be doing this same trip again Thanksgiving OR Christmas (not both as I have informed the lovely family...)

·
Registered
678 Posts
cheddar bunnies

seriously, that is how we got through a trip recently. they are something he doesn't usually get. his diet went all to hell for a couple of days but he was happy.

·
Registered
341 Posts
subbing in

This is timely- we're going to be making a 800 mile trip in a few weeks. I'm not worried about my 3yo, he's great in the car, but the baby really dislikes her car seat. The last long trip we took I ended up twisted around keeping her occupied and not screaming for most of- not good for the back!

One thing we thought about doing was buying a bucket of dollar store toys so there's always something new to produce and distract her. Not sure if it will work though.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSpruce
cheddar bunnies

seriously, that is how we got through a trip recently. they are something he doesn't usually get. his diet went all to hell for a couple of days but he was happy.
MMMMMMmmmmm. (Homer-esque drool) cheesie bunnies (that's what we call them at my house). I've been trying to focus on home made foods, but those are yummy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts