Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Illy, our stray from last year (remember, the one that ended up preggers?) has long hair. We didn't realize this mattered and needed tending to until recently, when we discovered her coat was matted beyond belief. Like, rasta dreads. So I spent a good chunk of time last night cutting her mats out.

The question: how do we keep it from happening again? I assume we need to brush her, but I've never brushed a cat. How often? Special brush? Educate me!

Phatchristy, are you out there?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some cats take well to being brushed, some don't. Some love it, but will roll around under the brush and not sit still so you end upwith a half-groomed cat....

My tis on brushing:
Figure out a sched. that works for you cat. Mine needed it every day.
Make it a 'treat' for the cat and a positive experience
Use a kitty brush, I don't know what it's called, but it looks kinda like what you would card wool with. I hate wire bristles, esp. with a squirmy cat, so plastic bristles with coated tips is what I go with.
Brush *every* part of the kitty - esp. areas you know are prone to matting.

Our long-haired kitty has the rumpled look going on and even with brushing he matts up in spots like his armpits, legs, chin, and other hard to groom areas. So we have him shaved every 4 months or so. He gets the lion cut, but there are other options to choose from. For a while, e just got his undercarriage shaved so he looked the same, and we handle brushing the top of him. It costs a but, but its sooo worth it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.