Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all you mamas that "cover up" in the noon-day sun, what do you wear?! I've been diligent about keeping ds and me indoors during the hot part (11-3) of the day. I encourage sun exposure other times of the day. We are trying to participate in a couple of park days each week and of course, they're during that hot part of the day. We tried it in jeans and long sleeved shirts today but it was TOO HOT! Suggestions? TIA!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Jeans? No kidding you were hot! We try to wear light fabrics, both in breathability and color. I like to wear skirts. The boys like long shorts, the kind that go past their knees slightly and a button up shirt that's a size too large. Then the shirt still covers their neck and goes to their elbows, but still feels cool. They are both great about hats. If they start saying their hats are hot or they are too hot, I let them put some water in their hat to cool their head down.

You can also find really lightweight running pants that are slippery feeling. They are cool too. My older boy doesn't like the way they feel, but the younger doesn't mind.

(PS This is my 1000th post)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Skirts and long sleeve tees are my favorites!
Skirts are seriously cool; almost as cool as shorts. Alternately, I sometimes wear a long sleeveless dress and throw a shirt on over it when I go out.
I've had good luck with 'Coolmax'-type shirts, too; you can usually find them pretty cheap at stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls, or online at www.sierratradingpost.com.

(ps, congrats JM!)

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
When I spent a couple of weeks in Wyoming at a Girl Scout event when I was 14, they recommended long sleeves due to the altitude and relentless sun--especially since we'd be out in it all day on horseback.

We got me cotton gauze shirts to wear: extremely lightweight, which meant breezes go through, but enough coverage that I didn't get fried.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meiri, thanks! I think "cotton gauze" is what we've been looking for but haven't seen in the stores and didn't know what to search for on-line. Dh did a search on "cheesecloth" clothes :LOL Needless to say, he didn't find much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.