Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is a continuation of one I posted about Lanolizing. Some stuff that people have said has made me wonder about some things that I think is appropriate to ask here.<br>
So... I made some longies and tried to lanolized them. I think I did it wrong, but also he was wearing gerber 2T undies underneath when we had an accident. He wet and it IMMEDIATELY soaked through, like he was only wearing the undies and nothing else. I think it is a problem with the longies 'cause with plastic pants and fuzzy buns covers over his undies it doesn't leak out when he wets. Also, often he wets and then stops to signal he has to pee (I know this 'cause I often have him in just undies or undies with no cover and pants, and so I know immediately when he wets). So what I'm trying to say is that the longies were like no help _at all_ in managing the wetness. Have any EC people here used longies over undies, or is it true that I would have to have an absorbant diaper underneath to prevent the pee from soaking straight through the longies? The thing is that when he did wear a diaper they never really seemed very absorbant at all, and I changed them right away anyway, cause they would SOAK. Even though he did have the diaper, I often would put a cover on to save his clothes from soaking through, and this did help to keep the clothes dry (often completely dry). So, am I way off base as far as expecting the longies to do anything, like stay dry externally (at least somewhat)? Or are longies just for people who use diapers? Thanks for any info you offer.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
yes, you need some sort of absorbancy underneath the longies. unlike polyester laminate (fuzzi bunz) or nylon (pull-on pants) covers, wool is porous and breathable. this means that it won't hold water (or in this case, pee). if properly lanolized it will repell somewhat, but not if it's a waterfall, KWIM?<br><br>
i have used padded trainers (under the nile) under longies and wool pants with mixed levels of success. basically small pees were fine (they only left the pants slightly damp), but big ones made the pants very wet (though it did not make a puddle on the floor). i never tried with underwear because i figured it just wouldn't work well without some protection underneath.<br><br>
hope that helps!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Anecdotal- We use wool long underwear or wool nappy pants, like double layed long underwear. If Sylvie is in just gerber undies, the wool underwear get quite wet, the nappy pants get damp, but I can use them again at the next change. We are in the midst of potty pause, so I put a folded up flat dipe in the gerber undies for extra absorbancy, and this is enough that either the wool undies or nappy pants stay pretty dry. Mostly, I treat this as THE clothing for her lower half at home, because clothes over this compress the wool and DO get damp with very little pee. Out and about, she never misses (knock on wood) so it doesn't matter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts