Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introducing Parvathi. A three year old Jenday Conure, rehomed to us after her first owners neglected her and the second ones are moving. She is really sweet. She has bitten a few times but isn't doing it anymore. She's also very shy. She came to us super cheap with cage and all because the owners were just looking for the right home. I hope we can be her forever home.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oooooooo ... beautiful new birdie! They are so beautiful, but we just don't have the time and attention to devote to them. We've got enough going on with 2 kids, a dog, a cat, and a fish tank. Enjoy your new flock member.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Beautiful... Now quick bust out the ear plugs!

BTW that toy on the long chain in back...You should cut the chain much shorter, short enough so it is not able to wrap around the birds neck. I had a similar toy and my African Grey would have died had I not been sitting right next to he cage when the chain wrapped around his neck while he was playing with it
:

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhiannon Feimorgan View Post
She's very pretty! How does the rest of your flock like her?
I'm keeping them separate because (a) want to kinda quarentine her for awhile to make absolutely sure she's healthy and (b) I have no idea how she likes budgies or vice versa. She has a powerful beak and I think someone could get hurt or killed really fast. Her former owner said she greatly disliked the cockatiels because they were (get this!) too noisy!!

So far she has hardly peeped but I'm sure she'll warm up to us and vocalize more. I read in a parrot book to not reward the screaming and not give her attention unless she's quiet or using her indoor voice.

I think if I have to go away for hours at a time I could put the budgie cages by her cage so they can at least amuse each other.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by APBTLuv View Post
Beautiful... Now quick bust out the ear plugs!

BTW that toy on the long chain in back...You should cut the chain much shorter, short enough so it is not able to wrap around the birds neck. I had a similar toy and my African Grey would have died had I not been sitting right next to he cage when the chain wrapped around his neck while he was playing with it
:
OMG! That is scary!! I removed all the toys because they looked very old and unused. The former owner said she didn't play much with toys and preferred to interact with people and just watch things. I cut some fresh willow branches and put them in the cage for her to chew up. I think she'll like that a lot. My budgies love it and can de-leaf a branch in like 10 minutes. I have a willow tree so it's very convenient. I heard willow and apple trees are safe. I will probably put some new toys in there later if I am going to be gone for awhile. Those food puzzle things look neat.

She came out for awhile after the kids went to bed and walked back and forth on the back of the sofa, and sat on dh's shoe when he had his leg resting on his other leg. We aren't going to let her sit on our shoulders for awhile because she seems very territorial of our shoulders and will bite if we put our hands up to our shoulders at all. Otherwise she's really sweet and already warming up to us. She will step up on our hands very easily and wanted to come out of the cage a few times on her own. I couldn't be happier with her. Yeah she has some bad habits to break but overall she likes people and that's the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I know absolutely nothing about birds, but have to say she is very beautiful!

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She hasn't done more than croak a little here and there. I expect she'll get louder as she gets used to her new home. I don't mind with 8 budgies and my 2 kids-- what's a little more noise?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.