Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to someone yesterday, and since she is aware of my lack of childcare opportunities, lack of money, and of my disappointing labor/delivery experience, she recommended I use a doula for this baby (due August 14th). I know, talk about waiting to the last minute. She recommended someone to me, said she's the only person she would recommend, but that person is unavailable and she recommended someone else. So, I thought I'd just put the word out there that I'm looking, and maybe another name will come up.

To give you a little history, my first pregnancy I had planned on a natural childbirth, was seen prenatally by midwives, and my husband and I attended hypnobirthing classes. Things did not go according to plan because I ended up transferring from the birthing center to Providence hospital after the midwife broke my water and the next day and after failing to progress beyond 4 cm dilation, being given Pitocin, Stadol, and an ineffective epidural, I had a ceasarean delivery under sedation (never even saw her born).

I really want to have a more positive experience this time. I want to feel supported in the choices I make, I want someone to help me relax. My mom will begin teaching in Wasilla on aug 14th, my dad is a bush pilot in Aniak from the 15th - 30th every month (besides... not who I'd pick for a labor coach even if he was available).

Although my husband tried very hard to support me during labor, I think he just didn't know what to do and the medical terms used by both the midwife and the hospital staff totally confused him and made him nervous.(Hate to admit it, but my husband totally stressed me out).
:
That's the only family I have here.

We have tri-care insurance and plan to deliver at Elmendorf. I discussed my desire for a VBAC with one of the four docors who may attend my delivery. He was very supportive of my desire to have a VBAC. The hospital also assured me I could have a birth attendant in my room. I am also writing a birth plan which the EAFB staff are encouraging me to turn in prior to delivery.

I'm just afraid of what it might cost. I've been a stay-at-home mom for 14 months, my husband earns the only income and a large portion of that goes out in child support, the rest to pay bills. In fact, we had to use part of my tax refund to buy groceries this week... came just in time. Don't mean to complain, just wanted to state the facts.

Does anyone think they know anyone or have any suggestions?

Katreena

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Katreena, I am the Alaska State Rep. for DONA International and have the database of doulas in our state. Email me privatly and I will send you contact info for all the doulas in your area. [email protected]

I also urge you to join the ICAN list. You can do a google to find it or maybe Laura of this list will chime in. Learn all you can about having a VBAC. Education is power.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.
Georganne

1 - 2 of 2 Posts