Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The kids in our homeschool group are exploring transportation. I want to present an experiment to get them thinking about how (non-living) things move. I've been looking through the resources sticky and will continue to do so, but while it's great fun to explore, it's a very time consuming way to find a specific thing.
I'm hoping someone here might have an experiment at hand to help me out!

The kiddos are young -- ages 4 to 8 -- so it should be pretty basic. It need not be specific to any one type of transportation, but should include some notion of how force or energy is translated into movement. It does not have to be something that a child can do by him/herself. My plan was to do have them all watch and help me with the experiment. (However, if it's simple enough for each child to do his/her own, then that's an option.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
we did something like this-- I don't know if it's what you're looking for exactly.

We filled a basin with water (you could also do this in the bath tub) and made boats out of tin foil. Then the kids had to figure out all the different ways they could make the boats move (blowing, poking, shaking the basin, etc.) We did the same thing with toy cars on a board or table. How can you make it move (tilting the board, blowing, hitting it with another car, and so on).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.